Song name: And I Always Will

Contact Information:

Your ReMixer name – Level 99

Your real name - Various

Your email address – 

Your website – http://level99.nighthorsemedia.com

Your userid – 13318

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged – We <3 Katamari (Lyrics from Katamari Forever)

Name of individual song(s) arranged – Everlasting Love

Composer: Akitaka Tohyama, Akitaka Tohyama, Alisa, Jun Tohyama

Comments on the song:

What could possibly embody more the Level 99 approach to making vgm mixes than an acoustic vocal arrangement layered with some synth accompaniment?

No, seriously, I'm asking.

Just something I did spur of the moment, wanting to see how much better my vocals have gotten since doing something like Radiance or Tuck n Roll. The arrangement is of the original Everlasting Love but the lyrics from from the "Everlasting Love + You" remix off of Katamari Forever, with a few choice modifications of my own to make them sound less direct-to-english.

Arrangement combining the lyrics from Everlasting Love + You (with my modifications) with an acoustic version of the original Everlasting Love.

Lyrics:
White clouds float in the bright blue sky, touch the seas infrequently 
Days and nights passing by all my dazzle days, We were bathed in happy harmony
A gentle wind kissed my cheeks so softly, the caress pure as a dove
We are on the long and winding road. Does it lead to everlasting love?

Hold me in your arms, like we're melting away
Happy grateful days, I can't stop loving you

I love you - So much, take my breath away, oh
I miss you - Hold me tight, anytime; Forever-ever
It's my love - You can steal my heart away, oh
It's your love - On the inside of your soul, digging deeper

White birds swim in the bright blue sky, whisper out the wind in the trees
From the view of mountains in the distance, pull me close as long as you please
Looking at the cedar on the hill, the orange sun descends from above
We are on the long and winding road. Does it lead to everlasting love?

Hold me in your arms, there's no better company
Listen, sing again, our sweet melody

I love you - So much, take my breath away, oh
I miss you - Hold me tight, anytime; Forever-ever
It's my love - You can steal my heart away, oh
It's your love - On the inside of your soul, digging deeper

I can sing a song for you and me
I can make a song for all who feel love
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 4 weeks later...

Stevo unplugged! It's a nice, warm arrangement of an adorable source. That source kind of reminds me of the poor engrish present in the World Ends with You soundtrack. Fun stuff, and the overall tone of this is chill and relaxing.

The guitar work is pretty rich, but the vocals could use some work. Overall, they sound rough and unpolished. While that's not an issue on its own, the tuning of the notes is often off. It's flat, in general, with a few moments where it really stands out (like at 2:07 "Everlasting" and 2:14 - 2:16 "Company"). The vocals are also very dry, in comparison to the guitar part. I know it's 'unplugged', but there's not even any room ambiance in the voice - it doesn't mesh quite right with the guitar.

The mixing is alright, and the production is otherwise pretty spot on (considering it's going for the acoustic sound). I like the little references to the Katamari Damacy theme in the bells in the background. The lyrics work pretty well; I appreciate that it doesn't sound like a direct translation - that would've been janky, otherwise.

This is good, but the vocals aren't up to snuff, in this one. You'll need to give the singing another shot, and be careful about your tuning. You have a tendancy to go flat (as most adults do), so watch for that. Adding a hint of room reverb on the vocal track would be appreciated, too, as it will help the voice blend with the guitar part better. I hope to hear this one again with improved vocals sometime soon.

NO

Have to agree with Gario, the vocals are letting the mix down.  I feel they could have more expression as they seem flat, and also pretty dry.  They don't sit very well in the mix, as the whole mix has a studio quality but the vocals are more on the unplugged side as Gario noted.  That's really my only issue with this track but a very important one as the vocals are such a big part of the arrangement.  I think making the vocals sound as studio-processed as the backings, and perhaps adding some harmonies in the chorus would make them sit better with the rest of the production and the arrangement.

NO (Resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/12/19 - (2N) We Love Katamari 'And I Always Will'

Not too much to add here, but I would like to note that I feel like your voice gets a little nasally in the lower register at times, our occasionally when you're singing a rising section. I think the vocals being unplugged here makes it a little more noticeable, as I don't usually hear that in your vocals on other tracks. It might also seen from the track being lower in the register than I'm used to hearing from you. Mind you this is not something I feel is holding the track back but just something extra that i can nitpick on dying the others already hit the major issue. 

A tip to help with going flat while singing is to slowly raise your arms while singing a phase. The action helps remind you mentally to keep your voice strong and helps keep you from falling flat. Doesn't always work but it helps!

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, the vocals aren't horribly performed, and I didn't hear anything majorly out of tune and cringy, but there were definitely a lot of brief, noticeable flat spots that added up, and the vocals are so dryly mixed that none of those flat spots are covered up or mitigated. There's a lot going on in terms of treating the instrumental and giving the sound of that aspect more depth, that I'm honestly surprised the same attention wasn't given to the vocals to make it all gel together. I had to check this out since it's Stevo and I was surprised at NOs, but I see where they're coming from. Some vocal auto-tuning, chorusing, and/or other post-production could push this over the top, but the vocals really shouldn't sound this dry; even if there were 0 flatness issues, the dryness was a significant issue. Strong arrangement otherwise, Stevo, so I really hope we get v1.1, please!

NO (resubmit)

• DaMonz locked this topic