OCR03429 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 "Those Who Seek the End"

Chimpazilla

Hello, my name is Brandon, and I go by SixteenInMono on the forums and everywhere else. This is my first time submitting to OCRemix, so I’m hoping to get some good feedback to improve on my works. I have arranged the song “Servants Of The Mountain” (or People Of The North) from Final Fantasy X, under the original title of “Those Who Seek The End”. My mix of this song is made to feel very open, a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and feel, rather than technical skill or prowess. So I hope the judges enjoy, and I hope to hear back from you! Enjoy.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/02/09 - Final Fantasy 10 'Those Who Seek the End'
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a pretty epic sounding arrangement. I like how big it eventually gets - it really trys to sweep you off of your feet. Really great sound to this.

That being said, there are a few elements that could use some improvement. The guitar tuning in the beginning, first and foremost, is sharp. It otherwise sounds pretty good, but it's sharp for the entire track, so you need to be careful with your tuning. The other parts sound pretty well in tune, so it sticks out quite a bit. That particular guitar is also very wet, with that heavy delay and reverb. You could do with a little bit less delay and reverb on it while achieving a similar effect, without sounding like a flood of sound (which muddies the track a little bit).

The drums up until 0:33 sound very busy, considering how calming the guitar is at that point. It's up to you, but it feels unnecessarily dense, at that point.

At 2:40, your lead guitar uses some extreme slides. Considering how slow they are, and how long they take to slide into their appropriate note, it sounds like the wrong notes are playing at those points instead, which I'm sure isn't the effect you were going for. I like the slides, but be sure to make them happen a bit faster; if you take too long on them, they don't sound right.

Otherwise, it's a pretty slick arrangement of the source. It's a close call for me, as I really like what you did here. I think this is still a pass, but I could see this swinging the other way, due to the tuning and really heavy slides in the middle of the track. For me, it's not enough to take it below the bar, but if it doesn't pass consider taking a look at the parts I mentioned above.

YES/BORDERLINE

I loved the drums in this one, very detailed and used to more than just a base for the track, they provide a lot of expression to the arrangement.  I think the contrast between the hard hitting drums and the calm arrangement was nice.  The guitar soloing at 2:40  was great.  I'm fine with the extreme slides, i feel they would seem pretty bland without the pitch slides, as they're pretty long legato notes.  The arrangement is solid,  and you managed the energy levels very well, with a very intense climax that resolves well around 4:15 and ties up the structure nicely towards the end.

This will be a great addition to our FFX remixes lineup.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/02/09 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 10 'Those Who Seek the End'
  • 3 weeks later...

Very brooding and emotionally compelling. The melancholy guitar work reminds me of what Nekofrog would make if he placed a heavier emphasis on percussion in his tracks. Though I found it strange to start off with the drums at such a high intensity, the arrangement quickly settled in and just kept getting better from there. When the heavy guitars and a more dominant lead finally entered around 2:40, I was hooked, and you completely won me over at 3:45 with the low-tuned rhythm guitars. Seriously badass. The last few minutes of this track were incredibly gratifying and, on a personal level, this has to be one of my favorite metal arrangements that I've heard in a long time.

YES

I like the heavy drums in the intro.  Is the guitar sharp?  My ears don't hear that.  I like the tone and the reverb on the acoustic guitar.  I agree with Mike that the drums are a good contrast with the acoustic guitar.  The section from 2:09-2:40 slowed things down a bit for me though, since it is the same material from the intro, I would have liked something different or additional there to set it apart from the intro.  That's my only complaint about this arrangement.  I like the pitch bends in the section starting at 2:40, and the heavy chugging that begins at 3:44.  Overall this is a good moody trek through this source material, it's produced well.  I like it a lot.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03429 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 "Those Who Seek the End"