*NO* F-Zero 'Port Town'

Chimpazilla

Hi Xavier, this mix has the same issues as your F-Zero track, the arrangement ideas and writing are sounding cool but the mixing needs a lot of work.  The drums are on autopilot, the sequencing is mechanical, and the instruments sound very generic.  I hope you can get some better equipment to listen on, and that you will take the time to learn how to use your daw, because I hear promise in your writing and arranging!  This particular mix also sounds to me like it needs more identifiable source, it is somewhat light.  Join our wip forums!

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/10/31 - (1N) F-Zero 'Port Town'

Yeah, similar issues as the GoldenEye mix, but moreso. The hats here sounded abrasive, and the organ & choir writing were often atonal. The synth lead handling "Port Town" at :48 was also too shrill; I thought it was a poor choice of lead sound and it combined poorly with the choir, which itself sounded lo-fi and muddy. Dunno what was up with the synth comping-style from 1:33-2:05, but it wasn't musical.

This was a more interpretive arrangement compared to the GoldenEye submission, but everything was messy here in terms of execution. It's poorly written and poorly produced, but we've all got to start somewhere.

What's important, Xavier, is that you keep an open ear to critical feedback and stay relentless in self-improvement. Make use of the Workshop forums to solicit track feedback but also ask production questions; you need help in particular with pleasing combinations of sounds.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/10/31 - (2N) F-Zero 'Port Town'

I don't know if that is supposed to be an Open hat or a noise effect, but it is really annoying and piercing.  The production here is not great, the performance of the instruments isn't very good, they sound very dull and lack character.  The overall mix feels overly busy and jumbled, everything sounds too crazy and disorganized.  There are some mixing issues, with some instruments having weird overtones or sub-frequencies that should be eq'd out, such as at 2:32 and 2:44.

The arrangement is very messy, there are some cool arrangement ideas in the break but it all needs to be brought down to a cohesive structure.  

Take the other Js criticism to heart and try to improve, the WIP forums are a great start!

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* F-Zero 'Port Town'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic