If you're anything like me than you probably have a huge thing for airships that may very well have been started by one of the early proponents of these senseless flying monstrosities, Teddy Ruxpin.

51x2NsYirnL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Much like Teddy Ruxpin, Guns of Icarus Online features airships but unlike Teddy Ruxpin, these airships are 2,000 ton murder machines strapped with guns, flamethrowers,  mortars and everything else you would need for effective rage therapy.

gunsoficarus-5.png

Guns of Icarus Online was a kickstarter backed indie developed game by the NY based studio Muse Games back in 2012.  If you're tired of playing shooters where you are constantly headshotted before you can react and frequently find yourself fantasizing about thwacking an engine with a hammer so that the pilot can maintain a tight turning radius while your being shot out of the sky by up to 3 other ships then GoI is most likely the game for you.  

The more I play this game the more addicted I get to it and when you have a full team that works well (enough) together Guns of Icarus is some of the most fun you can have.  It is not a game of instant gratification however as the community has dwindled lately to the point where it takes a good 5-10 minutes to get into a game.  The average is about 200 players playing at any given time but everyone who does play is extremely cool and won't berate you constantly for doing something stupid like rebuilding a turning engine with a mallet.  That's not to say that there is no screaming among the players in this game.  If both the balloon and the hull are down then you can expect a fair amount of panicked yelling-at-the-engineers as your ship continues it's descent to certain death.  BUT! it's all in good fun and never gets personal.  

The folks over at Muse Games are getting ready to release an expansion to Guns of Icarus online that adds PvE elements to the game as well as new armaments to equip on your ships. The game is a lot of fun and one of the more unique combat experiences coming from the indie development scene.  If you don't have it then you should definitely consider getting it for the meager $10 entry fee.  If you have it then send me your Steam ID and let's get an OCR Crew going!

OCR GoI Players

1. Garpocalypse
  2. Native Jovian

I first ran into this game way back in the day when Criken posted some videos of it.  I've played a few rounds but never really gotten that deep into it.  I feel like it'd be fun with a team you knew, but it didn't quite grab me enough to get me to play on my own.

If you want to set up something where we can get OCR games going like we still do for TF2, I'd totally be down for that.

i'll be the first to admit that the games where only 2 people have mic's are kind of stale.  Part of the reason i'd like to get an OCR crew is because playing with people you know is a lot more fun just as you said.  I'll get a list going, if everyone who has the game or who is about to get the game could say so in this thread it would be appreciated!

Game was just updated this morning with a new game mode that makes it tougher for a more experienced crew to stomp the opposing team.  VIP mode makes it so one ship on the team is worth 2 kills and the other ship is worth none. Obviously the ship with the more experienced crew should be designated the VIP as this forces (sorta) the VIP to play defensively and prevents that one noobish crew who keeps charging into the fight alone from wrecking the game. 

Also the rate that the ship falls after the balloon fails is even faster than before making those sudden drops even more panic inducing.  

Update details are here.

http://gunsoficarus.com/