Polizeitgeist - CP Violation Metal Remix (Half-Life 2)

BKM

Metal remix of CP Violation from the Half-Life 2 OST (source), originally composed by Kelly Bailey. I'm confident that production wise, it's a step forward for me - very slowly getting to where I want to be. Drums turned out pretty great this time I think.

"Polizeitgeist" is something that Eric "NeinQuarterly" Jarosinski mentioned a couple of times on Twitter, usually in the context of police violence, so I deemed it a quite fitting title for this remix. It's a neologism of the two German words Polizei (police) and Zeitgeist.

Musically, this remix is heavily inspired by Meshuggah's Koloss record, which, as it happens, deals with socio-political issues like the aforementioned as well. Have a listen to The Hurt That Finds You First - the ambient guitar towards the end of the track reminded me a lot of the melody in the beginning of CP Violation, so I made an effort to merge these two musical worlds. Who knows, maybe Fredrik Thordendal found some inspiration in the HL2 OST, which actually wouldn't be that surprising, considering his relatively recent musical contributions to Wolfenstein: The New Order's OST (Herr Faust).

In particular, I took CP Violation's main riff, downtuned it and transformed it throughout the remix, even to the point of giving it a syncopated 7/8 vibe. I also inserted my own riffs to develop this short entry to HL2's OST into a full-length song and I expanded the background melody to the point where it shifts and evolves throughout the whole song in a hopefully entertaining fashion. Also had a lot of fun experimenting with ambient SFX stuff on this one.

Hope some of you might like it. As always, all criticism is very much appreciated!