need a few suggestions for some new hardware

it's been a while since i've been mixing, and a while back i sold my studio monitors, my audio interface, and my best headphones because i didn't need 1k$ in random equipment that i wasn't using. i'm interested in getting back into recording and arranging again, but i need a new interface and some new microphones since mine are pretty beat up from college.

ideally, i'd like an interface that can record one input with phantom power (voice) simultaneously with one line-in input (guitar). i was looking at the focusrite scarlett 2i2, but it seems difficult to find for under 125$. i'd like to spend 100$ or less on this piece unless there's something that really is worth it. i admit i like focusrite preamps (i had a saffire pro 40 for five years) so there's that.

i'd also like a condenser mic that i can use for both voice and my guitar (although more for voice). i was looking at the AT2020 - does anyone have this? i have a heavier voice and need a mic that can handle some volume being thrown at it. if i can use it for my sax too that's even better. i don't mind buying two mics, though, so if there's one that's better for voice and one that's better for instruments then i'd be up for that. ideally i'd spend less than 150$ total on this part.

i have no open-ear or semi-open headphones now that i sold my grado music series twos, so i'm looking at a cheap replacement in a set of akg k240s. i have some sennheisers for closed-ear bass-heavy stuff but want something for lighter mixing. i'm pretty locked in on the k240s unless someone's got a better option for 60$.

thoughts, anyone?

On my main PC right now I'm rocking a little Steinberg UR12 interface. One mic input, one hi-Z line (instrument) input, fits exactly what you're describing for use case. Retails at $99. Super sturdy build quality, mic pre can even handle my Shure SM7B, so plenty of juice. Definitely would recommend.

Mics: AT2020 is a decent entry-level mic, the 2035 might be even better for you as it's got -10db pad and low roll-off switches, and it only costs $150 at most retailers. I actually own a pair of the 2035s and got 'em brand new in sealed boxes on eBay for $100 apiece several years ago, so you could look around and see if such a deal is around elsewhere. You might also look at the MXL 990, which retails for under $100 but has a wealth of modifications available for it out there so you could potentially turn it into a beast of a mic. I plan on modding mine at some point in the hopefully not-too-distant future.

I also noticed that Samson is selling the MTR201 combo package which includes a decent-looking large-diaphragm condenser, shock mount, pop filter, and a nice carrying case. No experience with that other than knowing that Samson usually hits a great balance of quality per dollar in the budget sector. 

If I'm not mistaken, the Focusrite Scarlett Solo can record two inputs simultaneously and has 48v phantom power. It has one XLR mic input, one 1/4" instrument jack and one 1/4" jack headphone jack. Average retail is $99, though it's cheaper in some places. I use it currently, although I don't do a lot of recording with it.  As far as mics go I can't really make any suggestions.

@Flexstyle i actually own a 990 but beat the snot out of it in college, and i never really liked the profile of it either (at least for saxophone). everything you've ever heard from me was recorded on it and it gets worse over the years thanks to me not taking care of it. i will look for the 2035. the ur12 looks great, actually - how would you say that the quality of the preamp is compared to focusrite's stuff? if you can speak to that, dunno if you've used both.

@Kat i was looking at the solo, but i can't find it for under 100$ anywhere in stock and available. imo i'd rather go with the 2i2 at 125$ at that point and get twice the phantom inputs, but if i could get the scarlett solo for the 85$ it used to sell for on amazon, it'd be a great pick.

Presonus makes an interface that looks just like their vsl 22 (which i use) but for half the cost.  The audiobox is $99 now from Guitar Center and seems to fit what you are looking for.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Presonus/AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-Recording-System-1274034489588.gc?country=us&currency=usd&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=COGLpYzi-8wCFVdahgodl_oL7A&kwid=productads-adid^78244844802-device^c-plaid^140858362821-sku^1274034489588@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

2 hours ago, prophetik music said:

@Kat i was looking at the solo, but i can't find it for under 100$ anywhere in stock and available. imo i'd rather go with the 2i2 at 125$ at that point and get twice the phantom inputs, but if i could get the scarlett solo for the 85$ it used to sell for on amazon, it'd be a great pick.

That's odd. I bought mine new from Guitar Center for $99 off sale. Their website currently shows it on sale at $85. Though if you're willing to spend $100 you may as well spend the extra $25 for the 2i2, or take Garpocalypse's suggestion for the audiobox.

3 hours ago, prophetik music said:

@Flexstyle i actually own a 990 but beat the snot out of it in college, and i never really liked the profile of it either (at least for saxophone). everything you've ever heard from me was recorded on it and it gets worse over the years thanks to me not taking care of it. i will look for the 2035. the ur12 looks great, actually - how would you say that the quality of the preamp is compared to focusrite's stuff? if you can speak to that, dunno if you've used both.

I actually own a 2i2 as well (use it as part of my MacBook rig) and I'd say they're on par with each other. Clean and plenty of gain. I'd take the Steinberg little boxes over the Focusrite ones right now just simply for build quality -- Steinberg's boxes are much more heavy-duty, although the Scarlett series is well worth the money too, no hate from me at all! Plus, I've found Steinberg's drivers much more stable under Windows than Focusrite, and haven't yet used the UR12 on my MacBook at all.

I also own a Scarlett 18i20 plus an OctoPre for my big sessions but that's probably overkill. :P

On 5/28/2016 at 0:55 AM, Kat said:

That's odd. I bought mine new from Guitar Center for $99 off sale. Their website currently shows it on sale at $85.

in store only, though, and none within 100 miles of me in stock =(

i'd lean towards the steinberg then, based on what you said. the working windows drivers are a plus =)