The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

DarkeSword

4 hours ago, The Damned said:

I suspect that I will spend the first few days in the game just fucking around with the physics engine and seeing what I can do.

I felt that way at first--I've sunken probably 200 hours into Oblivion without ever visiting Geoffrey--but seeing the stuff you get from the early shrines changed my mind.  I definitely want the bombs, the magnet, and the parasail ASAP.  And probably a fire rod.  And if you can get all that in the first hour or two, what comes after that?

17 minutes ago, MindWanderer said:

I felt that way at first--I've sunken probably 200 hours into Oblivion without ever visiting Geoffrey--but seeing the stuff you get from the early shrines changed my mind.  I definitely want the bombs, the magnet, and the parasail ASAP.  And probably a fire rod.  And if you can get all that in the first hour or two, what comes after that?

Hopefully a pair of wings or something.

You have no idea how disappointed I was when I opened the item chest in Twilight Princess' City in the Sky and it turned out to be another clawshot. :| And not something you could fly with.

More physics engine wackiness.

I hadn't heard of the Stasis Rune before, but it's brilliant.  Apparently it locks an object down so that physics temporarily do not apply to it, which is common enough in video games, but when the effect wears off, all energy applied to the object takes effect at once.  It's fantastic.

On 6/28/2016 at 6:20 PM, SystemsReady said:

Hopefully a pair of wings or something.

You have no idea how disappointed I was when I opened the item chest in Twilight Princess' City in the Sky and it turned out to be another clawshot. :| And not something you could fly with.

I could tell from the level design up to that point that it was coming.  BotW may be the first Zelda game where giving you true flight wouldn't actually break anything, so maybe.

• 7 months later...

For the first time in Zelda history (not counting HW), a game has Downloadable Content.

Whaddaya know, huh?

Took long enough.

From what I've seen/heard about, Switch users will get a wearable "switch t-shirt" in game (Why.)

One DLC pack will have a stand-along story (events 100 years ago in full?)

The other will include other stuff. (something about a new mode or something) 

All for 20 bucks. I think it's worth it, cause wasn't some packs for HW $60?

Place your thoughts here, people.

(Mods/whoever, if this needs moved, go ahead and move it if you want.)

I tend to think of DLC in terms of value as compared to the content in the original game.  For instance, Mario Kart 8 has 16 tracks, and the DLC has 16 more.  The DLC characters and car parts are just aesthetic, but the tracks are the main thing, so 100% more content for 20% of MSRP ($12/$60) is a very good value--kind of my gold standard for DLC value.  Smash 4, on the other hand, has 51 characters to start with, and each DLC character costs between $4 and $6, effectively ~2% of the base game's content for ~10% of its cost.  Really only a good value if you like and play the game a whole heck of a lot, way more than you would play other games.

BotW's Season Pass costs $20 (1/3 of MSRP) and gets you an enemy rush mini-dungeon, a harder difficulty mode, a "new feature for the in-game map" (whatever that means), a new dungeon with a new short story, and a couple of random items, one of which is purely cosmetic.  Considering the base game has 100 shrines and 4 full dungeons, plus whatever the final area is, this is much more in line with the Smash 4 DLC--good if you're a superfan, not a great value otherwise.  I'll probably pass.

21 hours ago, TheChargingRhino said:

All for 20 bucks. I think it's worth it, cause wasn't some packs for HW $60?

Nope, the season passes for both HW games were $20 each. I think some Smash DLC went that expensive but that was for like, complete packs which was a lot of content.

Personally I think this is a good value. Not too shabby for stuff coming out later.

• 2 weeks later...

So far this game is simply stunning. The gameplay is top notch, by far my favorite Zelda in that area. Just two problems, both audio...

1. The voice acting is not good. They blew it. Thankfully there isn't much of it! But even so, why not at least have the option for JP voices?

2. There is almost no music. Skyrim showed that you can interject ambient, exploratory gameplay with fitting music... But I'm definitely missing it here.

I think the Japanese voice-acting is better, but the English isn't bad at all.  Then again, I remember the PS1 voice-acting era, which was torture.

I've reached three major areas in the game other than the Great Plateau, and I believe I've encountered 4 or 5 other characters with voice-acting in cutscenes.  No one has voice-acting when just talking to them, other than the usual Zelda grunts and whatnot.

I do think the music is maybe a little too minimalistic, but it's fine, and I don't miss it.  Helps me hear the crickets and birds and things.  And the major sequences are fully scored.

It's not that I always prefer JP voices... some games have amazing English VO and even with an option I'll often stick with the dub. But in this case the English voices are just bad. The casting is wrong and the delivery is hammy. I don't necessarily blame the voice actors even, because I think they just didn't get the right people to match with ages/accents etc

And the game showed up at my door tonight.

I'm just going to copy what I said on slack:

Link will climb everything he touches. if you're trying to avoid getting hit by three bokoblins at once, he will instead latch onto a tree and sloooooooooowly climb up it, allowing himself to get the shit beaten out of him.

Once you figure out how to avoid doing that, link will do it any way, because fuck you, it's link's world, not yours. Climb that fucking tree!

Seriously, once you learn to stay away from anything climbable during a battle (and everything is climbable), link handles a bit better.Zelda's voice told me to go to the place indicated on the map, but the only thing I saw on the map was the place you started in. The game quickly told me about pressing a button to do something, but I was too busy climbing the walls to catch it. I ended up wandering around the area a bit until I died several times to a blue bokoblin with a big tooth-studded axe thing. but then I found some arrows and then later fire arrows and then finally exploding arrows. blue goblin is weak to exploding aerial bombardment, it turns out.

Eventually, I see that there is a quest log in the menu, so I go to see if I missed something. clicking on the quest log activates the mission, not reviews it. That was confusing, and explained why I couldn't find this map marker anywhere. It wasn't activated automatically when it was given to me. Seems slightly counter-intuitive to me, but it's just something to remember for next time.

marker leads me to a tower that shows a cut-scene about a castle and some random bad guy whom I'm sure won't be a problem at all. old man wants me to get him a treasure in exchange for a glider.an hour isn't enough time to get a feel for it, but it did give me that feeling of accomplishment when I bombed the shit out of that blue goblin fucker inside his skull-cave hideout, leaving his comrads charred and dead, and him bleeding heavily from his... everything.

seriously, that guy killed me like, six times before I said fuck it and went looking at other stuff. fire and bomb arrows > blue guy.