*NO* Undertale 'Bergentrückung + ASGORE'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: Furious Feedback

User-ID: 33354

Name of game arranged: Undertale
Name of Arrangement: Bergentrückung + ASGORE
Name of individual song arranged: Bergentrückung + ASGORE
Additional information: Undertale-Soundtrack Original by Toby Fox (http://ocremix.org/artist/14859/toby-fox), System: PC
Undertale-Submissions by Toby Fox himself on OCremix: http://ocremix.org/game/95077/undertale-win
Own comment: My most favourite track from Undertale, Bergentrückung and Asgore's Theme. I programmed the main synth on my self-modded GameBoy Color using an LSDJ-Cartridge (quite some work getting the notes just by hearing), played the other instruments myself (Guitar, Bass, Keys) and used EZDrummer to add drums. Arranged and Mixed in Cubase 8.

Thanks. <3

This track would need a proper name, not just the name of the source tune.  I like the concept and ideas here, but the mix gets really repetitive and the mixing leaves a lot to be desired, bass is muddy/boomy, instruments fight for frequency space, drums are buried, the whole thing sounds overcompressed.  I think if backing instruments were widened a bit, it wouldn't sound so crowded in the middle.  The lead synth sounds quite dry and lifeless, maybe just a bit of reverb and/or some filter movement or modulation?  I think if this were fixed up mixing-wise, and possibly shortened a bit, it would pass.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/02/15 - (1N) Undertale 'Bergentrückung + ASGORE'

Very sweet arrangement! The guitar/chiptune combination works very well with this source, and it has a great amount of energy that the arrangement holds onto throughout. I think Chimp hits a few good points on this, though, and I'll reiterate them (as well as add a few thoughts myself).

The arrangement, first and foremost, has a very similar combination of instruments throughout - chip lead with guitar + other instruments backing it. It's a great combination, but strictly adhering to that for four and a half minutes makes the song all sound the same, which starts to get boring for the listener. I hear you do some sweet guitar leads at the end, there, so I know you can pull off the guitar taking over the lead from time to time, to break up the soundscape a little bit. There are other ways to do it, too (changing the duty cycle of the lead from 12.5% to 25% or even 50%, for example), so please explore at least a few ways to change the instrument arrangement up, from time to time.

Another point that's brought up is the clutter in the middle of the mix, which Chimp rightly points out. When I work with chiptunes I often find that the range that I initially place the instrument in is similar to what the backing instruments are. I suggest raising the lead up an octave, and checking out how that affects the overall sound. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much that alone would clean up this track, and it will give the guitars some more room to work in. There are other ways to clean up the mix, but that would probably be the fastest and most effective method, in this case. I also found that the guitar portion is pretty lightly mixed throughout the arrangement, probably because you heard the conflict - hopefully my suggestion helps give you some space for the guitars to be mixed a little bit louder. That bass square also punches throughout a little too much, so be sure to mix that down a bit, as well.

I really do enjoy this arrangement, but I think we need to send it back for just a little bit of TLC in the areas that we pointed out. I hope to hear a resubmission soon!

NO

Cool arrangement.  We get A LOT of Undertale remixes nowadays and this arrangement really caught my attention.  I have to say though that this won't get a pass because the mix is really not good.  The low end is a big mess, the drums basically disappear, and the guitars are squashed pretty hard.  I think you need to relax your compression levels everywhere, bring your mix to a clean state where nothing is squashed first, and then eq your instruments properly so they don't fight for space.  Other than that, the Js above gave good feedback on how to improve the song.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Undertale 'Bergentrückung + ASGORE'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic