*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 & 1, Final Fantasy 9 'Protect the Castle!"

Chimpazilla

Hello! I am Ynitsed Modnaf, I'm on the forum but, I'm not active on it because I'm not a big fan of forums so, I'm sorry... I hope it's not a problem.

Contact information:

_ My ReMixer name: AS_Ynitsed
_ My real name:  (I want to keep my name secret).
_ My email address: 
_ My userid: 33331

Submission informaion:

_ Name of games arranged: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past; The Legend of Zelda; Final Fantasy IX
_ Name of arrangement: Protect the Castle!
_ Name of individual songs arranged: Hyrule Castle; Dungeon; Jesters of the Moon
_ Original composers: Koji Kondo; Nobuo Uematsu
_ Comments: I wanted to remix A Link to the Past because is my favorite Zelda game and the game of my childhood. And, during the remix, I thought "And if I add this song and this too?". Just like that.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

What a great concept here, very bold.  I love the blending of these three themes, they make a really nice cohesive arrangement.  The mixing isn't working well though, all the instruments are competing for frequency space in the mix.  The sequencing is really rigid.  There are several areas in the mix where there are sour notes and/or bad harmonies.  The vibraphone is too loud.  Still a bit to work on here, but there's a LOT of creativity in this arrangement.  I suggest taking this to our forums for further mixing advice!  I'd like to hear this one with the production improved!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/02/16 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Protect the Castle!"

The concept involved in this is a good idea - mix the dungeon theme, castle theme and Jesters music together - and it's a bit unexpected that they could go together. There's enough in this arrangement that connects well that convinces me that it could work, which is pretty cool. That being said, the production, mixing and sample choice leave the arrangement wanting.

First, the samples all seem to be fighting for room over one another throughout the entire arrangement. While there's technically no clipping due to the compressor that was used, I'd put money down that with the compressor turned off there would be plenty of clipping occurring throughout the track. A big part of this has to do with the mixing - your instruments all sound like they're trying to be the focus of the mix all at once, which leads to none of them standing out at all. When you mix, you need to mix the most important elements in the front of the mix, while mixing less important elements (textures, arpeggios, etc.) more in the background by setting their levels lower than the important elements.

The instruments that you use are confusing, at times. The trumpet and drums make sense - they sound like trumpets and drums - but I hear an instrument that sounds like it's supposed to be a guitar, but instead sounds like a messy synth. It would be better if you go either way, and go that route hard. Either get a more convincing guitar sample (which is admittedly hard to do) or get a guitarist who'd be willing to help you out. That sample doesn't do you any favors.

On the topic of the instruments, the trumpet sounds mechanical. The sample itself doesn't sound great, but it could be workable. The sequencing, however, sounds like a machine is playing it. The volumes all sound the same, and all of the attacks are static. You should take a look at how instrumentalists would play a trumpet and do everything in your power to imitate it.

As far as the arrangement goes, it's a bit hit-or-miss. There are quite a few moments that I thought worked well - that transition at 3:33 legitimately gave me chills, how well the themes mixed together, and how haunting the castle theme sounded slowed down. However, for a good part of the arrangement it sounded like you were sticking the sources side by side, which doesn't showcase how well the sources worked off of one another. There are a few missed notes, as well (the run at 0:43, 0:50, 0:58 & 1:06, the 6th note, or second to last note of the run, is sharp), but they're small, and easy to correct.

Overall, I think the idea has potential, but I don't think you hit it consistently enough in this arrangement for us to post. You would do well to use the forums a little bit (despite your mentioned aversion to it), in particular the WIP workshop portion of it. People would love to help you make your vision clearer, and you could possibly find someone willing to offer their help with the guitar part that I mentioned earlier. I wish you the best of luck on this one, as there are some parts that I really loved in this.

NO

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with what's already said.  There's lots of clutter here from the instruments competing for space.  The amount of reverb is also adding to the issue. 

The instruments used themselves are pretty basic and the sequencing is also pretty rigid.  It's not conveying the realism I think you're going for here.  

Arrangement has some cool ideas.  For example, I liked the idea of transitioning to the Zelda 1 Dungeon, though it felt like it was a breakdown that stuck around for too long, rather than transitioning back into a more energetic section.

I don't want you to be discouraged here, as it sounds like you may be just starting with remixing, but I think it would be beneficial at this point to spend some time on the WIP boards to get more immediate feedback and refine your craft.  Personally, at this point, I always recommend people not get too attached to a single song, but keep trying new ideas and tracks to improve.  Good luck to you and hope we hear from you again.

NO

• Nutritious changed the title to 2016/02/16 - (3N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Protect the Castle!"