djpretzel

---

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Name of arrangement: The Legend
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Legendary Hero
  • Comments:
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. has always been a favorite of mine. As The Wind Waker HD approached, I got excited seeing the game again. What started out as a simple re-make of the intro theme to the game, became a full electronic remix. This remix incorporates the original, traditional themes of the song, mixing them up with hard-hitting drums, orchestral elements, and a powerful bassline.

I hope you enjoy it!
Link to the file:

• 2 weeks later...

Right off the bat, I love the tone of the pan flute but there's zero expression to the melody. It sounds like it's played extremely stiffly. The section that follows offers some neat interpretation on the theme, fusing electronic, rock, and orchestral elements together. However, the leadwork in the track overall is really dragging this down. The panflute plays such a low register that it gets almost completely lost behind the percussion, so it almost feels like those sections are lacking a lead entirely. 

The next synth to come up feels so thin and just doesn't feel like a good fit for how intense the rest of the track is. 2:15 shows some really cool development to the melody, I really love what you did with the harmonies here. The sequencing on the violin is not very realistic though, with almost no attack on the sample at all, the playing doesn't feel natural. 

3:30 brings some really exciting drumwork that moves things along really well, but by this point, the same repeating violin melody is starting to feel tiresome. The fadeout at the end sounds like you ran out of ideas and weren't sure how to conclude the track :-\

For the most part, I think the leadwork needs to be revisited here. The rest of the track is solid enough but I'm finding a common thread between all of the main issues with this mix. If you could liven up the lead sequencing/patches and make them more humanized/expressive, I think you could be onto something good here!

NO (resubmit)

Mmm, interesting approach to this, almost like Cusco on crack with the flute + electronics. Cusco is great, so you already have my attention. I like the pan flute in the beginning - it could use some vibrato, the lines could've sounded smoother (rather than like the pan flutist was restriking every note), but overall I liked the effect.

The percussion at 0:27 is very well done, but that pan flute that I enjoyed earlier gets completely drown behind them. Changing the range of the flute would help significantly, but when everything comes in at 0:53 I don't see much you can do to bring the flute over everything else. By its nature the pan flute doesn't have the power to play above such a dense arrangement - for that portion perhaps utilize another instrument to cover the theme. At 1:46 the pan flute is once again too far behind the mix, which is a shame considering it carries the theme.

At 2:15 you bring in the violin and piano combination. I agree with Emu that these are not very well humanized. The attacks all sound the same, rather than reducing the attack swell to tie the phrases properly, and they sound very dry in comparison to the rest of the instruments. The piano in the background also sounds too dry, and has no dynamic variation.

I like the change from the beginning to 2:15, and you do some great things with the source past that point. After 3:05, however, it seems you repeat the same ideas over and over again until the end of the song (5:08). You build on it more and more, but that doesn't change the fact that after 3:05 the arrangement doesn't move anywhere, which gets pretty boring pretty quickly. Personally I was waiting for the original material from the beginning to return (it would've bookended the piece nicely), but any sensible change in direction would've been great rather than repeating the same idea nine times to close the piece off.

The arrangement and instrument realism has issues, but I really do like the percussion and synth work in this. It really grabs your attention, and the power of the percussion really drives this piece well. If the pan flute was balanced properly in the mix, the strings and piano humanized better and the arrangement past 3:05 given more direction rather than repeating the same idea until the end, this would be a fantastic addition to OCR. However, for now there is still some work to be done, which I hope Noah does.

NO

This song has a very strong start, when the drums came in at 0:27 I thought that was how hard the track was going to get, but I was in for a surprise at 0:58!.  It was a really strong way to launch everything into high gear however the song really tapers down from there on.  I have to agree with Wes on the leads, they're very weak compared to the rest of the song.  There's some uneven handling of the dynamics, as when most of the hard elements go away at 1:46 the beat becomes way too prominent and exposed, and the other instruments are pushed into the background.  The violin and piano sections are very robotic and stiff, and also portray a very odd selection of notes and a bit of noodling.  

At 03:05 there are some artifacts happening with the attack of the bass sound that you may want to fix.  The arrangement comes back strong later on, but it becomes really repetitive and in the sections with less elements going on the beat becomes too prominent again.  Fadeout endings are a no-no in my book.

This is a good start, but needs more work, the other Js offered pretty good feedback and I recommend you heed it.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 'The Legend'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic