djpretzel

Dayum son, you gonna give yourself a heart attack! - djp

---

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Pokémon Silver Version
  • Seeing Red
  • Battle! Champion
  • I've literally thought about doing a metal remix of this tune for a looong time... I wanted something straightforward and clean, but matching the imagined intensity I felt was in the original. I couldn't help myself by using the synths for the leads to help differentiate the melody and chaos from the equally chaotic, chromatic guitar solo. I wanted to push the limits for how clean I could make chugging guitars at this tempo. The variation is definitely slight in terms of the second repeat of the main melody, mostly in how I present the guitars. Enjoy. 

•  

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/09 - Pokémon Silver Version 'Seeing Red'

Face meltage action, in this one - like the source, this track is pretty intense. The overall execution is done well, and the drum work is spot on.

The mixing of the rhythm guitar seems to overwhelm the other instruments just a little too much. The lead guitar sounds a little underwhelming, but that square lead gets pretty drown behind the rhythm guitars. Figure out a way to bring out those leads - they're important.

The soloing in the middle (particularly at 1:59)... I'm not feeling it. It feels like random, uncoordinated noodling that often gets out of key. I'm a little torn on this, though, as there are classic metal guitarists that do this very style of soloing in their music, too (Slayer, for example - I can't stand their solos, either), so it's hard for me to say if voting that down is actually a bias against the genre, personal taste or an actual issue with the song at hand.

It's a tough call. The mixing of the rhythm guitar knocks this a little, but not quite below the bar. If someone more familiar with metal can confirm whether or not this is personal bias or an actual issue with the solo, that'd be appreciated - my vote hinges on that.

--

EDIT: I'll go with Larry and Deia on this one - if the solo doesn't bug them, it won't affect my vote, either. "Slayer solos" always irked me on a personal level, but that's a personal preference, not objectively a problem.

YES

• 5 months later...

Interesting opening layering the guitars with the chiptune. At :33, the chip lead was getting buried by the guitar work and should have cut through more, IMO. That said, the guitar work complimented the lead well, and the interplay was interesting even if imbalanced. I didn't like that aspect, and wouldn't be mad at anyone NOing it for that reason, but I'll live with what's there. The guitar-only sections also had great intensity on their own, and I had 0 problem with the execution of the soloing. There could have been some dropoffs or lead tone changes or textural changes somewhere to give this more dynamic contrast, but it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Solid work by Connor. :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/09 - (1Y/1?) Pokémon Silver Version 'Seeing Red'

Agreeing with Larry here, the combination between the synth is a little imbalanced, but I felt it overall works. The solo doesn't doubt directionless to me; I felt like the theme is being referenced, although it is a bit oblique. 

Personally I want a fan of how close the synth is to the original in terms of sound and following the melody, but that is personal preference and I think it works fine in regards to our standards and such.

Nice work!

YES

Holy shit.  Well that was intense.

First, I was put off by the pairing of the pulse lead and the rest of the instrumentation... it wasn't meshing very well for me, and it seems like this sentiment is shared by the other judges.  I think the pairing worked better when it was transformed to work with the arrangement and not when it was playing the source verbatim.  Anyways, not something that would hold this one back but something that could've been done much better.

No issues with the soloing here, except when it feels like it's falling behind the rest of the song in terms of mixing, but other than that the soloing was solid.  Regarding the arrangement: who would've thought this song works as a trash arrangement? I wouldn't.  But it does, and it does very well!  the source even parallels some of the genre's tropes, which helps diminishing the issue I had with the pulse lead/instrumentation pairing.  

High energy stuff, excellent performance. 

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03505 - *YES* Pokémon Silver Version "Seeing Red"
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic