Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged : Final Fantasy VIII
  • Name of arrangement : The World Within
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged : Compression of Time
  • Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
    System: PlayStation
    Developer: Squaresoft
    Publisher: Squaresoft
  • Link to the original soundtrack : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l75zjpDpAWs

Remix link : 

Hello,

This is the first time I submit something on OCRemix, and it's also the first time I remix something or even use a music software. 

So, I decided to remix a song to train myself. As many, I always loved Final Fantasy soundtracks. I feel like FFVIII lack some recognition, so I wanted to honor it. I choosed to remix Compression of Time, that i find ambiantic and also melodic. I figured it would be a good exercise to try and do something different with it, maybe more "actual", but with the same atmosphere.

Anyway, i hope you'll like it.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Well, first and foremost congratulations on your first arrangement on a computer! Arranging VG music has always been my method of learning how to use a program, so I'm glad other adopt this same method, as well.

The arrangement is pretty close to the source. Since the source is my favorite in that game (and one of my favorites in the series) I certainly appreciate it, but unfortunately it's too conservative for OCReMix to accept it. It's not really an issue with the track, per se, but more a quirk with OCR's policy - as OCR is a site dedicated to the reinterpretation of VG music, we don't accept arrangements that remain close to the source, even if they're pretty darn good.

As far as the quality of the production, it seems to be mixed acceptably well. The samples are a little stiff at times (like the strings at the beginning - they sounded a little unnatural, for example), but overall they're handled pretty well. The longer stretches could certainly use more vibrato, as the straight notes being played for such long periods sound unnatural. The guitar that comes in at 3:06 shares the same range as the strings oscillating between the two notes, so they tend to fight for the same sound space.

Overall it's pretty good, but I'm afraid it can't be accepted on OCR due to being too conservative. Very nice work, though, and I hope you become more familiar with the site standards and rules so you'll be able to submit something else that we can accept soon. Good luck!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/08 - (1N) Final Fantasy 8 'The World Within'
  • 1 month later...

Yup, pretty much in agreement with Gario here.  Arrangement is very much on the conservative side and we're looking for more personalization in arrangement.  Also, some elements weren't quite clicking production-wise.  The piano tone is sounds tiny (especially when joined by other elements) and would be better served with a sample with more meat and body to it.  The guitar sample wasn't really pushing the realism boundary at all with the strumming sounding robotic without much variation in tone or velocity.  That's partly both samples and sequencing.

Very impressive work for your first music software creation - sure beats what I put out when I first started.  Good luck to you and keep at it!

NO

• Nutritious changed the title to 2016/03/08 - (2N) Final Fantasy 8 'The World Within'

Agree with the others here, both on their critiques as well as their praise for your first remix attempt, this is a great first start. For real instruments, the sequencing here is quite stiff and could do with some humanisation. The piano is tiny and lacks weight - I understand it's more of a background element but it should still have some body to it. I also thought the guitar was a little weak, and could've been more expressive. Mixing is not bad, there are not many elements to this mix so I'd expect that. Arrangement is close to the original, with the second half not really taking us anywhere the first half hasn't already shown us. You have some nice sounds here and could take this source to some new places with the base you have built. I would like to see you take this further.

NO