*NO* Metal Gear (MSX) 'Opera Lady'

djpretzel

Contact Details:

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged : Metal Gear

• Name of arrangement : Opera Lady

• Name of individual song(s) arranged :Red Alert

• Additional information about game : Released on the MSX system in 1983. Composed by produced by Iku Mizutani, Shigehiro Takenouchi and Motoaki Furukawa

• Link to the original soundtrack : https://youtu.be/6YQm2M-v4l0

• I wanted to give the original 8 bit tunes a new flair. I decided to give it a slower theatrical wild west feel with an opera lady harmonizing to the tune. (Hence the name of the remix)

First and foremost, why is this track so quiet? Just putting it in Audacity, I pushed over 8 dBs by maxing the amplification option - without adding even a bit of clipping in it. Always raise your levels, if no production issues arise when you do so - I see no reason one wouldn't do that.

I like the style that this track has - it really does feel like an old spaghetti western. The vocal vox, although cheezy as all hell, I think even adds to this atmosphere. I'm surprised the source lends itself so well to this style.

Overall, though, the arrangement seems to feel empty and sparse. Even raising the levels, there seems to be virtually no bass, and the only instrument for a good while other than the lead is a quiet pad. Eventually another instrument doubles the lead, but all that really does is make one part louder - it doesn't contribute to filling the track out. The organ that comes in even later helps, but there's still nothing that counts as bass. The lack of percussion really drives that empty soundscape home - aside from a few hits of the bassdrum and woodblock (used quite effectively, by the way), there's nothing there.

There's not really much I can say to this, other than it doesn't feel finished. Flesh out what you have here - give it a bass instrument, be willing to fill the harmonies out more, etc.. Also, raise your levels - there's no reason for this to be so quiet.

NO

• 5 weeks later...

This feels very barebones and incomplete.  The instrumentation is very simple and plain,  and some of the instruments felt very cheesy, and the lead at around 01:25 sits between a theremin and a very fake vocal sample.  There wasn't much articulation applied to the performances other than this lead, and they seem to have the same velocity throughout.

The arrangement gets repetitive.  There's not much natural sounding interplay between the different parts, and although some of the percussion elements work, the bassdrum feels very out of place in an arrangement like this.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/02/17 - (2N) Metal Gear 'Opera Lady'

Incredibly exposed and mechanical. It doesn't sound like any part-writing went into this. Everything sounds like it was on auto-pilot. Like Nuts said, there's no interplay between parts. What's going on in this track? What is even the melody? It's sort of just meandering all over the place.

Needs to go back to the drawing board. NO

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2016/02/17 - *NO* Metal Gear 'Opera Lady'