VGM Remix and Arrangement Finds

DarkeSword

This thread is for posting and discussing VGM remixes and arrangements that aren't published by or found on OC ReMix. Basically if you find a cool remix on YouTube or something and feel like sharing it with folks in the community, this is the place to post it. A couple of ground rules before we get started:

• Video game music remixes and arrangements only.
  • Add some comments about why you like the music you're posting.
  • Don't post music without discussing the music other people post. We want to foster discussion here, not create a sterile feed of content.
  • Don't post your own music in this thread; rules about artists posting their own music in Community still apply.
    • Current and TBP ReMixers are allowed to create new threads for their own albums.
    • Current and TPB ReMixers should post any singles in the Workshop.
    • Non-posted artists should only post their albums and singles in the Workshop.
  • Don't post links to unlicensed remixes that are being sold for profit.

Hopefully this solves the issue of "I found a cool remix on YouTube and want to share it but it's not mine so it doesn't really make sense to post it in the Workshop but if I post it in Community it would look like I'm advertising and DarkeSword gets pissed about that stuff what is that guy's problem anyway he's such a jerk sometimes..."

Anyway, get crackin' people. Show us some cool tunes.

OK, then, here are some of the VGM Remix YouTube channels I follow.

• Jonny Atma actually does have one ReMix posted here (as GaMetal), but he's a prolific YouTuber.  Fantastic guitar work; while his arrangements are a little cover-ish, he really milks what it means to play the electric guitar and makes the music his own.  He takes requests from a fairly eclectic fan base, so he frequently has some odd choices in there (such as this one from McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure).
  • Ferdk takes a little more liberty with his metal arrangements.  The creative tweaks are subtle, but enough to add personality.  He also has great taste in VGM, and takes requests from his Patreon, covering a lot of fantastic songs that aren't necessarily the ones people remix over and over again.  Here's the Squirrel Battle from To the Moon.
  • Speaking of To the Moon, I'm sure most people here know Laura Shigihara from that game and Plants vs. Zombies, and one OCR entry back in 2011, but you may not know that she does tons of piano and vocal VGM remixes on her YouTube Channel.  Listen to this Skyward Sword cover and tell me she's not amazing.
  • Aivi Tran also has one posted ReMix (as waltzforluma) and collaborates with some other pianists and violinists for more.  Sometimes she even collaborates with herself!  But her straightforward piano work is beautifully expressive.  She and her husband also do the music for Steven Universe!

I also follow FamilyJules7XSmooth McGroove, and Taylor Davis, but they hardly need any more press, and also a few other folks who have multiple OCR posts.  Also Lindsey Stirling, who mostly does original music, but does have VGM stuff as well, with fun videos: her Skyrim one is particularly fun because it shows off what you can do with a whole lot of layering.

ULTRANOMICON has some great metal remixes I recommend.

https://soundcloud.com/ultranomicon

I especially like the Doom Castle track - not enough Mystic Quest remixes out there. The track could be considered conservative, as it does stick pretty close to the source material, but he isn't afraid to shred it out in the middle and build, to me, a very complete experience. Can't beat the sound of symphonic rock!

@Mirby That's awesome! Love the precision.

6 hours ago, MindWanderer said:
  • ...so he frequently has some odd choices in there (such as this one from McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure).

Well, I like the music in this game. And won't let brands influence my musical tastes. Really nice cover. Love the synced lead and the acoustic guitar outro. I'm just not too keen on the drum writing (with the kicks all over the place at times). But that is typical of this type of metal. And so a matter of personal preference.

Got another one. Remix of Ryu's Theme from SF II by Man Factory.

If you haven't heard of Man Factory, check out https://manfactory.bandcamp.com/. They created a rock opera spanning three albums, based off the original Street Fighter II. They even created a fictional storyline around each of the characters, as told by the lyrics. They have a very garage-or-dad's-basement sound as a band, but the lyrics are very clever and I really do like the sound they create.

@Odai LOVE that video. What an amazing artist! I laughed so hard I cried too - especially the Navi gags. Her facial expressions are priceless!

@DarkeSword I'm trying to keep it to one track as a recommendation, but it seems it's the artist I'd like to recommend instead of just one track. It also seems I'm not the only one to have this problem. If this isn't how you saw the thread panning out, do you think it would be worth setting up another thread for non-OCR VGM Remix Artists?

Stephen Anderson collabed with Lindsey Stirling to make an FF1 album.

An epic-cinematic mindset meets talented violin skills. The result was an electronic violin album with an edgy touch! Here's an example track:

@The Nikanoru Haha, I have a feeling some people might have been like, "it's REEU" about the pronunciation (EDIT: yup, found one on the YouTube comments!). I like the humor in the lyrics.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had this remix by Red Tailed Fox for coming up on 11 years now, and I have no idea where I found it (thinking maybe one of the many iterations of VGMix, but I don't know for sure).  It's called "Wood's Motel", and it's a remix of "Forest Interlude" from Donkey Kong Country 3 (which is interesting, because he also has "Fixbit Forest", another remix of the same source, which appeared on ThaSauce).

I generally really like his stuff and didn't want this one to get lost in oblivion since it seems that it's near impossible to find online anymore.

Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2drm5z4haofio4r/Wood's Motel.mp3

What's this? This thread's been up for a month, and no mention of Mutherpluckin' B? Let's fix this.

http://www.mutherpluckin-b.com/

Pretty much classic rock gold, all around, with three albums out of his music to listen to.

Some highlights include my personal favorite Silver Surfer / Megaman 3 remix...

... as well as a Napalm man / Ducktales Moon arrangement.

It's all great, though - go check him out!

Ooo, found this guy today. Apparently a part of the brony community (at least, a name like "MandoPony" certainly implies this), but damn can he put out an amazing Undertale vocal arrangement. Most of his things actually don't arrange themes from the game (though "The Need a Monster is still amazing, regardless), but this one does, at least.