*NO* Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 'An Evening with Jake Marshall'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: Terracorrupt

Email: 

Name of Game(s) arranged: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Name of Arrangement: An Evening with Jake Marshall
Name of Individual song(s) covered: "Dick Gumshoe", " Won the Lawsuit! ~ The First Success", "Investigation ~ Cornered"

Comments: If it fails submission I'd love for some feedback. Wanted to do a version of these songs that fit that "Bambino" aesthetic, and I think at least the guitar delivers that feeling at least :)

------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Definitely like where you are going with the Success theme here! Very pretty arrangement, and it fits solo acoustic guitar quite well. I think there reverb and sound delay is a little bit too heavy, though I like the swimming feel for the track in general. I can't say I'm feeling the transition and the Cornered theme at 2:00. It's sudden, doesn't really lead in or connect very well, and the arrangement isn't as strong. The shorter and faster plucking also sounds a lot thinner on the sample as well.

I suggest taking the second half out and expanding the victory theme arrangement. The Cornered theme has some nice points, and that certainly can be used for a different arrangement, but I don't think these two together is working in this context. Also check out our WIP forums, I think you'd be able to get some good advice there from the mods and forum users on how to improve this further!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/21 - (1N) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 'An Evening with Jake Marshall'

This is a pretty soothing track. Interesting ideas in this - I really enjoyed the Gumshoe theme at the beginning, the section after that flows nicely and there's some more activity toward the end. Unfortunately, the parts really don't come together and form one piece - they sound like smaller songs, in their own right. Even the Gumshoe theme, while nice, does not transition into the other source. If you want to incorporate themes like that, you'll need to make the transition sound more cohesive, as if the multiple sources actually belong to a single song. Right now that's not what I'm getting out of it.

I don't know if it's a filter of some sort, but the muted guitar sounds a bit muffled. If there's a low pass on the track, consider lightening up on it a little and letting more high end EQ through on it. The delay is a cool effect, but as Deia said it's a little too much, so it ends up sounding like a wash of sound. Lighten up on that delay.

The whole song sounds very quiet. It's trivial to push another dB or two out of it, and with a little limiting on the master after it'd be easy to get another two dBs. There's no reason for the track to be this quiet.

It's a good start, but I don't think this is there yet. The arrangement sounds like multiple songs strung together, the low pass on the guitars are a bit extreme, the delay is a little too heavy and the overall track is too quiet. Deia gave a great suggestion in getting even more feedback in the WIP forums - plenty of people would love to give you more advice on how to improve your music, and this track would benefit from people's advice in there. Good luck!

NO

You've made an interesting rendition here. For the arrangement - I agree with the others that the transition at 2:00 was far too sudden and clashy with the previous section. I think if you insist on this portion staying in the mix, you need to work on your transition here so it fits more clearly. For production, I also agree that there is a little too much delay/ambience going on here, and it would benefit the song greatly if it was dialled back. I also feel the tone on the guitar is a little dull, and could do with some more brightness to it. Be sure to hit up the workshop as the others have mentioned. Not a bad start but this does need some work.

NO