OCR03522 - *YES* Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion "Beyond the Imperial Prison"

Chimpazilla

Hello again! Hope you are well, I actually have another "remix" I wanted to share with OCR, I've linked it here: 

And if I've missed anything (I don't think I have) please let me know and I'll get it to you right away. Thanks again for your time and efforts, I'm sure you have a mountain to go through and that's on top of daily life, so fair play to you! 

All the best,

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Name of arrangement: Beyond the Imperial Prison
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Reign of the Septims, Through the Valleys, Watchmans Ease, Auriel's Ascension 
  • Platform: PC Composer name: Jeremy Soule
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpqSdORmCX4
  • Comments about the mix, etc: This was done as a favor to a friend, actually, Randy Yasenchak of Elder Geek www.youtube.com/eldergeek does a series called "25 games for my son" which he talks about 25 games he has carried with him through life, and wishes for one day, that his son play them, or at least know why he played them, and what they meant to him at those key moments in his life. Coincidentally, the 10 year anniversary of Oblivion was quite recent (March 20th if I recall correctly), so it tied in with that. This is a humble remix, more of a modest medley really ocmodestmedleys.org anyone? And my own nod to Jeremy Soule and what he did for me as a young gamer, as a young human being and as a composer as I grew into one. I have a signed copy of the Skyrim soundtrack tucked away in my storage for safe keeping, I will always be grateful for what Jeremy Soule has done for video game music, and what he did for me as a composer, by writing these incredible themes and creating these awesome atmospheres, so thanks Jeremy!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/04/08 - Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 'Beyond the Imperial Prison'

HyperDuck Soundworks, yay! Love your work, in general, so it's a real treat to be hearing more from you.

The orchestration seems to be very well put together in this. Great humanization utilized throughout, and there's a great sense of space throughout the track. It takes its time with the sources, often opting to go for a slower, more atmospheric sound, though I can still hear some of the sources in the backing material.

It's going to take some time to parse the source from this in detail, though - the track is seven minutes long, and there are four sources, to boot. While this will pass on orchestration, humanization and overall production quality, it's going to take some time to parse the sources, unless the arranger is willing to help us a little, on that front.

EDIT: Alright, so this is what I've got from this. It's a bit tricky, as there are parts where there's quite a few sources meshed together as a wash of sound, and they're broken up into many pieces. I list a few moments in this source check, but... well, you'll know the parts when you hear them.

Arrangement    ||    Source

(Reign of the Septims / 0:51 - 1:06    ||    0:16 - 0:26
Dragonborne Theme)   1:06 - 1:19    ||    0:16 - 0:26
                                 1:46 - 1:58    ||    0:16 - 0:26
                                 2:07 - 2:21    ||    Elder Scrolls 5 Theme
                                 2:21 - 2:37    ||    Elder Scrolls 5 Theme
                                 3:02 - 3:32    ||    (Chords are 0:16 - 0:26 source)
                                 6:37 - 7:14    ||    0:16 - 0:26, Elder Scrolls 5 Theme

Through the Valleys     0:20 - 0:38    ||    0:00 - 0:06
                                 1:36 - 1:39    ||    0:00 - 0:06

Watchman's Ease        3:45 - 4:36    ||    0:00 - 0:47
                                 4:43 - 5:08    ||    0:48 - 1:12

Auriel's Ascention        5:14 - 5:16    ||    0:30 - 0:33
                                 5:27 - 5:29    ||    0:35 - 0:37
                                 6:00 - 6:25    ||    1:43 - 1:50
                                 6:25 - 6:35    ||    0:30 - 0:38

~248s Source
~447s Length

= ~55% Source usage

This is a very strict interpretation - only listing parts where I can directly hear the source. Again, there are a lot of moments that sound like there's source in it that I can't identify due to my lack of familiarity, and due to how it's integrated into the background texture. It LOOKS like a close case, but I think it has more than enough source, overall.

One thing that I have to point out is that the "Reign of the Spetims" source portions that are used sound quite close to the Skyrim version of the song - some of the portions only appearing in the Skyrim version. While it's pretty neat to see that Skyrim was borrowing it's themes from prior installments (I never played any game in the series), I think it is much more accurate to list the Skyrim version as the source instead.

Yeah, the source is used sufficiently, and it's used cleverly throughout. Great work, Chris! I always look forward to the music you produce and arrange.

YES

• 4 months later...

Gario pretty much nailed it, I think.  The connection to "Through the Valleys" is iffy, but it's a minuscule amount of the arrangement. Everything else plays out exactly as Gario said, including the sections of the main theme that appear in Skyrim but not Oblivion.  The melodies chosen are clear throughout, which doesn't always happen when working when either the source or the arrangement contains this much other stuff going on.  Even being borderline on the 50% stopwatch test, it's very clearly based on at least one of at least 3 sources throughout.  And the return to the main theme at the end was a beautiful, effective touch.

Strings are a tiny bit mechanical for a few brief moments, with some odd swells especially in the Watchman's Ease section, but it's barely worth mentioning.  Otherwise this pretty much nails the production.

Great arrangement with some powerful inspiration behind it.  I love it.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful.  Top notch orchestration here.  As mentioned, some stops, but they seem to fit the arrangement.  A few Grave sections that felt a bit meandering, but when the Watchman's Ease melody hits at 4:00 I was brought right back home.  The humanization overall was very natural-sounding, loved it.  On the production side of things I have no qualms either, everything is clear and I didn't hear any issues.

Overall this is as solid as it gets.  On my first listen I thought the track was meandering a bit too much, but on the second I could get a grip of the pace you were going for and I observed many details that I had missed, making the experience much more enjoyable.  Great work here.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03522 - *YES* Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion "Beyond the Imperial Prison"
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic