Sonic Mania

DarkeSword

• 1 year later...

I come from the future to announce that, yes, Sonic Mania is an amazing game.

I don't even like the Sonic series that much (S3&K being the only objectively great game even from the classic series... fight me), but Mania freakin' nailed it. The final boss could've used some more pizzazz than was present (even the penultimate boss in S&K was a monolithic mech - so awesome), but otherwise the level design, the music, the feel of the gameplay... it's all great.

I can't say 'Sonic is BACK, baby!', but he did have at least one more amazing game in line with the original spirit, at least.

Sonic Mania is honestly the Sonic game I've been waiting for since Sonic & Knuckles. It's pitch-perfect in its physics and aesthetics.

I picked it up on Switch and am constantly playing it. The music is incredible. I got all the Chaos Emeralds with every character. The only things left I need to do are get all the emblems from the Blue Sphere stages, but I'm probably not going to do that. I've played enough Blue Sphere in my life back when I was a kid. xD

I hope they make another one.

21 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

The only things left I need to do are get all the emblems from the Blue Sphere stages, but I'm probably not going to do that. I've played enough Blue Sphere in my life back when I was a kid. xD

Heh, there's a great place to grind out the Blue Sphere medals, if you ever want to just hammer it out in an hour or so for completionists' sake: Stage 1, Act 2 has two posts that are about 5-10 seconds apart from one another. Easy to bounce from one special stage to another by simply running up a hill to one pole then back down to the other pole again and again. The state of the savepoints resets when you go through a special stage, so this can be repeated indefinitely.

Of course you could also just despise blue sphere, which is a different problem altogether, but the rewards for doing them are pretty nifty (loving the playable copy of Mean Bean Machine and "& Knuckles" that gets unlocked, for example). The stage that is literally just a single spiralling path to the center takes forever, is a mental drain and is challenging for the wrong reason (you go cross-eyed looking at the same thing for two minutes straight getting to the center, urgh)... It's the worst, I hear you on that.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A series of cheat codes have been discovered which work across all versions of the game, we’re unsure if you need the full plus DLC to get these to work or if they will work on a fully patched vanilla version of Sonic Mania, so give it a try anyway.

From what we understand, they do not work on Encore mode, and some codes only work for Sonic.

To enable the codes, you need to do the following.

Enter Mania Mode and go to ‘No Save’.

You now need to enter the code for the level select.

PS4: Hold Square, Select No save.
    Xbox: Hold X, Select No save.
    Switch: Hold Y, Select No save.

You will now be at the level select.

Go to sound test and play the following sounds to enable the desired code.

3 3 3 1 9 7 9 0 8 1 1 – Changes all animals into Squirrels.
    4 1 2 6 – All Emeralds
    1 9 9 2 1 1 2 4 – Infinite Continues
    2 0 1 8 0 6 2 3 – Force Encore Mode
    1 9 8 9 0 5 0 1 – Unknown
    2 0 1 7 0 8 1 5 – Super Sonic Flight in normal levels (Don’t need to be Super to trigger it).
    9 0 0 1 – Max Control For Sonic (Dropdash, Super Peel Out, Insta-Shield)
    0 0 0 0 6 2 1 4 – Disable Super Music

Some of these codes combine to make interesting effects, for example, if you enable Force Encore Mode and Max Control For Sonic, it’s possible to give the Super Peel Out move to Knuckles and other characters.

Try them yourself and see what happens.

Found this on https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/07/sonic-mania-cheat-codes-discovered/. Figured it was worth sharing.

On 7/24/2018 at 4:01 PM, Meteo Xavier said:

Alright now I'm really curious and I'm passing this meaningless task onto anyone else who happens to read this:
The codes appear to have significance.

3 3 3 1 9 7 9 0 8 1 1 – Changes all animals into Squirrels.
    4 1 2 6 – All Emeralds
    1 9 9 2 1 1 2 4 – Infinite Continues  This date was "Sonic 2sday"  - kinda a big deal in videogame marketing
    2 0 1 8 0 6 2 3 – Force Encore Mode
    1 9 8 9 0 5 0 1 – Unknown
    2 0 1 7 0 8 1 5 – Super Sonic Flight in normal levels (Don’t need to be Super to trigger it). This date was the release of Sonic Mania
    9 0 0 1 – Max Control For Sonic (Dropdash, Super Peel Out, Insta-Shield) This is a cheeky DBZ reference?? Super Sonic/Super Saiyan
    0 0 0 0 6 2 1 4 – Disable Super Music

Please fill in any others you can think of!

Beat Mania mode and got all the Emeralds with Ray. Working on Mighty right now.

I think I prefer Ray's play style. The glide takes like maybe one Act to get used to, and then it's second nature. Really good.

I got as far as Stardust Speedway in Encore Mode. Pretty tough. Can't seem to find character boxes. Wish there were more sitting around.