Zelda III - intro sequence

Dafydd

I can't do trance and I suck at mixing.

For example, I was quite proud of this: Synt3

But this Zelda 3 intro remix sounds absolutely terrible. I don't even know what I've done differently this time around. What am I doing wrong? Why does it sound like crap?

Mind you, my problem is the mainly with the mixing, not so much the arrangement, but if you have ideas, please share them.

If someone wants to take over the idea and do it themselves, I won't stop you...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, the intro is not building up to anything. Perhaps you should begin with one instrument less. It's also too long. You're waiting before anything - finally - happens. After that, the transition is way too sudden. And it seems a little out of tempo.

At the second part, I suggest another background string-kinda instrument to do some chords or something. To make it less empty. And of course, it could use some more original material.

Side chaining is your friend don't know what program you use, I know it's easy to do it in reason. Do this to get your beats and pads flowing together real nice. Right now nothing seems to flow together.

I'm sure u've hear blind's stuff. Pay attention to his build ups and all the little sounds he throws in.

Also you might want to completely redo all the synths. The soundscape just ain't working for me right now. That opening synth that's playin low notes, I would prob use more triangle and sine wavs on that and less saw and square wavs.

It can take a long time to find the right synths, a long time. If you have vanguard use it for starters. It's easy to work with and has some high quality presets that you can easily tweak to your liking.

Also you need more of a beat when the melody kicks in. The whole intro has that underlying beat, I don't think that goes with it at all.

The source can def work as trance, but then again trance ain't as easy to make as it sounds. Instrumentation and rythm are key.

Hope that helps a bit.

Oh yeah, ur good trance is way better. You hear how everything feeds off each other. It induces that emotion you get from trance. The intro was really good. That lil gated sound in the begging that starts off low then peaks as another synth comes is awesome use shite like that.

Doomsday wrote this.

4. I can't stress this one enough but with the atmosphere from the pads, it work work damn near perfect if you started doing sidechaining. Its a technique I recently (as in within the past month) have started doing but it causes an amazing effect as far as atmosphere goes. The best way I know how to describe it is its kind of like what a modulator is to a vocoder, a sidechain is to a compressor. Whenever the sidechain activates it compresses. This effect is used to insane extents in Filter House (like Daft Punk - One More Time) in order to get that "wooshing" feeling. Here's what I mean:

Without Sidechaining

With Sidechaining

Point is, doing this could add a lot of atmosphere. I may come back later and tell you how but a couple of searches around should teach you how to do it.

As far as doin it in reason I don't know. It is suppose to be really easy.

I think there is something is this thread about it. Have fun digging through it. I know sephfire and sgx know how to do it in reason.

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0