Batman: The Killing Joke

AngelCityOutlaw

Just got out of the theater. 

Overall, I enjoyed it and it was great hearing Hamill and Conroy in an animated Batman again, but I'm not sold that this animated adaptation truly does the classic graphic novel justice. Simply because I felt the visuals could be much better and more in line with the comic's aesthetic. They also cut some odd corners on the dialogue, at least in the theatrical release. The animation isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be from the trailer, but it is well below what they're capable of. I did like the expanded story with Batgirl - hate me for it. In the future, I'd be down with seeing a re-animated re-release that keeps all of the audio, but with better animation and art direction more like the graphic novel - Sorry, Bruce.

Let me know what you thought

This is the only graphic novel I have ever bought.  Specifically because of its popularity.  I'll be honest, I am absolutely sick of the joker.  In the last 5 years we have had him in Injustice(I'm sure also in the upcoming injustice 2), Suicide Squad, The upcoming Suicide squad movie, Under the red Hood, 4 Arkham games, This movie, Young Justice, Dark Knight Returns part 1... and that is only off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are more.  The Arkham games were able to make other villains as charismatic and awesome as him so why are we so obsessed with him?  How many people actually knew anything more than Dr. Strange's name before Arkham City?  I'll still watch it, but I'll be doing it with the book open following along to see how close they get it.

6 hours ago, Thin Crust said:

This is the only graphic novel I have ever bought.  Specifically because of its popularity.  I'll be honest, I am absolutely sick of the joker.  In the last 5 years we have had him in Injustice(I'm sure also in the upcoming injustice 2), Suicide Squad, The upcoming Suicide squad movie, Under the red Hood, 4 Arkham games, This movie, Young Justice, Dark Knight Returns part 1... and that is only off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are more.  The Arkham games were able to make other villains as charismatic and awesome as him so why are we so obsessed with him?  How many people actually knew anything more than Dr. Strange's name before Arkham City?  I'll still watch it, but I'll be doing it with the book open following along to see how close they get it.

Because he is the mirror of Batman. That's what the killing joke was always all about. Both Batman and Joker are totally insane to do what they do, it's just that where Batman found meaning in the tragedy that befell him, the Joker became a reflection of all life's random injustice.

I also think it's because Joker has had possibly the most iconic and vastly different portrayals of any villain in film.

On 7/30/2016 at 8:48 PM, Thin Crust said:

A big part of this has to do with how wonderful Hamill's performance of the character is -- and Tara Strong's Harley Quinn (who usually comes along with) is pretty damn good as well.

13 hours ago, BardicKnowledge said:

A big part of this has to do with how wonderful Hamill's performance of the character is -- and Tara Strong's Harley Quinn (who usually comes along with) is pretty damn good as well.

Tara Strong is pretty great as Harley, but let's not forget that she's essentially just doing Arleen Sorkin's Harley.