OCR03431 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "The Torment of a Twili"

Chimpazilla

I am submitting my remix of Midna's Lament from Twilight Princess, I have named it The Torment of a Twili. I will link to my soundcloud where it is posted as well as attach an MP3 in the proper format/quality. The quality on soundcloud is 44.1k/16-bit but it is a WAV file, as it makes the upload more consistent in volume and representation. If there is anything more needed that I didn't manage to see or skipped over in the instructions then please let me know! Thank you for your time!

Sentient Pulse
Brett D'Agostini

Mix is a bit mid-low heavy.  Whoa, those distorted leads, they are tortured!  Leads and piano are just a bit too loud and could have a bit of the low end eq'd off.  Ok so this is a 3/4 source and the remix is in 6/4, which is disorienting at first, and the drums are keeping essentially a 4/4 pattern for an even more strange feel... but I love it.  This is such a unique adaptation of this source, it is unsettling both in the rhythms and the timbres used.  I feel like the distortion especially on the leads is a bit heavy-handed but I think this is a stylistic choice to convey the Torment, so I get it.  Snare could be louder and snappier.  Tasteful wubbage.  I like the varied filtering.  This one is really resonating with me.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/01/14 - (1Y) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 'The Torment of a Twili'

Very haunting source, and at first this gets that style down pat. Then it slams your balls with the dub bass and overall meaty presence. I like this approach a lot - deceptively cool.

I like the sounds that are used throughout. The synths are very tasty, but sometimes that distortion physically hurts my ears. I don't know what it is about those high frequency distortion makes my ears hurt, but it legitimately does - the highs on the the distortion need to be EQ'd down a few notches whenever it's present.

The mixing on this one gets pretty cluttered, from time to time. At sections where everything is going at once (like at 1:50) it becomes pretty muddy, and overall the track is pretty overcompressed. The sidechaining helps quite a bit, but instruments do still get lost in the mix quite often.

I enjoyed the change of the meter from 3/4 to straight up 4/4, with an offset theme against that 4/4 beat. It's disorienting, yet it fits perfectly.

I really enjoy the approach on this one, but it's really hard for me to ignore that the distortion is actually hurting my ears on this one (to the point where I actually can't get through the song more than once). The overcompressed nature of the track and the overall muddy mixing when everything is going at once take it down a little, too, but those extremely piercing distortions really do affect the piece quite negatively. I really, REALLY want to see a resubmission of this with the highs of the distortion EQ'd down a bit, though, as I really like this a lot.

--

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/01/14 - (1Y/1N) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 'The Torment of a Twili'
  • Gario pinned this topic

Just noting that I've only heard the revised version.

I was worried about the opening being so similar in instrumentation and tone to the original song, but it differentiates itself a lot once things kick in, as the others said. Loved the section using the more chippy elements the most, first isolated at 2:16. Later, at 3:16, I thought the opportunity was there for a more pronounced dynamic shift for the finish, but the wind-down at 3:44 worked nicely to mirror the close with the opening. Nice work, Brett! Short and sweet, count it.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/01/14 - (3Y) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 'The Torment of a Twili'

Pretty good, dark and mysterious atmosphere.  Production is solid, and the interpretation is there even if it sticks fairly close to the original.  I would've liked to hear more variation on the dubstep bass parts, as it feels like small sections such as the pitched-down, off-beat filtered bass parts were reused one too many times.  But the mix is big, and not too long to overstay its welcome.  Nice work overall though, I'm ok with giving this a

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03431 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "The Torment of a Twili"
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic