OCR03451 - *YES* Kirby 64 "Interstellar Action"

Chimpazilla

This is my first submission to the site. I've been making music remixes on YouTube featuring Synthesia for quite some time and now I think it's time to share them with this community. I'll start with my latest and greatest stuff and work my way through the rest if I'm accepted.

My remixer username is glitchman161, my real name is , my email is , and my YouTube channel URL ishttps://www.youtube.com/user/glitchman161.

The game name is Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards for the Nintendo 64. The song I remixed is the World Map theme: (https://youtu.be/QySO39GPGnE?list=PL65674D59A772CAE2).The title of my arrangement is Interstellar Action. The original composers are Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando.

I also made a nice music video on my YouTube channel if you want to check it out:https://youtu.be/vUOXSoJoS2E Nobody has made anything like this before!

Hope you like it!!!.

What a short and repetitive source tune.  I have to say kudos on making a remix that keeps those 46 seconds of source interesting and varied throughout.  The arrangement could have used an original section somewhere that went a little further away from the source, but that's just a suggestion.  The track gets pretty loud and almost overwhelming during the wub breakdown (hits -5.5db RMS at that point) but otherwise the production is pretty darn tight.  I like it!  Your video is ace, too, really nicely done!  Kirby-step indeed.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/04/15 - (1Y) Kirby 64 'Interstellar Action'

Well, this source is short. There are a few challenges to arranging a short source like this, but the biggest one on the table is that it's quite tough to make something like this sound interesting and varied throughout if one sticks too closely to the source. You very clearly have the source theme playing throughout, so to mitigate that you change the texture around a lot, dropping instruments out and introducing other instrument combinations to keep things interesting. This works pretty well, though I feel the track lasts about thirty seconds too long using these strategies alone. I give you credit for keeping me interested for the majority of it, though - that's not an easy thing to do, considering the length of the source in question.

As far as production goes, for the most part the mix and production is okay. Instruments are easy to hear in the mix, and are mostly clean. In the beginnng, though, the primary synth has what I think is hard-limiting production issues with the lead instrument. Starting at 0:18, the lead sounds like it's clipping at the beginning of every note strike. It doesn't last very long, and it's pretty faint, but while it's there it's pretty noticeable. The note at the end of the track cuts off just a little too soon, as well - it could've used another few beats for the resonance to die out on its own.

Overall, though, I think it's pretty good. There are issues with the relatively repetitive arrangement as well as a few production hiccups, but overall it's pretty well done. If this is the first submission you've got I look forward to hearing more from you.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Nice soundscape to open things up; a touch muddy, but purposeful. Some of the instrumentation tilted towards the generic side, but the overall treatment and production of these sounds was solid.

Smaller detail, but it's nice to hear breakbeats with a different style of drum samples (first used at :35 with filtering that gradually dropped by :53).

I liked how, even softly, there was almost always a line playing both the source melody and countermelody; the instrumentation and textures evolved constantly here, so there was never a dull moment. Very creative arranging, Daniel, and way to get a good deal of creative mileage with such a limited source! Welcome aboard!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/04/15 - (3Y) Kirby 64 'Interstellar Action'

Pretty neat soundscape.  Some of the synths were a bit peaky with the resonances in the mid-highs but I wouldn't say it was problematic.  The beds of reverb don't get in the way of the cleanliness of the mix so that's good.  The filtered bass playing the triplets around the middle section was a very cool break.  You managed to do a lot to the drums to keep things interesting throughout using filtering, changeups, etc.  Production overall is alright but I would've preferred something a bit quieter, given the overall feeling of the piece, it gets rather smashed at some points which is counter to what's going on in the arrangement sometimes.

In regards to the arrangement, it's not exactly an usual structure, but it works here, and the source is well implemented and expanded upon.  Overall, short sweet, over the bar, let's go.

YES