OC ReMix presents Chronology: A Jazz Tribute to Chrono Trigger!

Liontamer

Cover

OC ReMix presents Chronology: A Jazz Tribute to Chrono Trigger!

August 22, 2016

FAIRFAX, VA... OverClocked ReMix today released its 60th arrangement album, Chronology: A Jazz Tribute to Chrono Trigger. Coinciding with today's 21st anniversary of Chrono Trigger in North America, the album pays tribute to Chrono Trigger, released by Square in 1995 for the SNES. Featuring eight vibrant arrangements from the OC Jazz Collective, Chronology is directed by OC ReMixer, multi-instrumentalist, and arranger Dylan "Wiesty" Wiest, and is available for free download at http://chronology.ocremix.org.

Chronology includes a deep roster of jazz musicians honoring Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu's timeless soundtrack in the Chrono series by arranging several themes for improvisational jazz. Chronology was made by fans, for fans, and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Square Enix; all original compositions are copyright their respective owners.

"I was able to assemble my own 'dream team' of musicians and arrangers on OC ReMix who all shared a passion for jazz and video game music. I felt Chrono Trigger would be an ideal candidate for our first release given [...] the fact that Mitsuda's music lends itself so well to jazz and improvisation," recalled director Dylan Wiest. Speaking to the format and end result of the album, Wiest explained, "Jazz is a social music best captured in the moment... and while the production process of this album was anything but 'in the moment,' I think the album's sound and cohesiveness will speak for itself."

The album's cover artwork was designed by Andrew "OA" Luers, who also created the visuals for OC ReMix's Final Fantasy VI: Balance and Ruin album, which raised over $153,000 via Kickstarter in 2013. Supplementing Luers' cover artwork are nine visual art pieces from several artists depicting Chrono Trigger's various eras from Prehistory to the End of Time.

"The musicians and artists on this album have put in countless hours of practice and recording to produce an album which I think sounds authentic and natural," observed Wiest, who steps forward with his first OC ReMix directorial effort by assembling and leading the OC Jazz Collective. Also featured alongside the OC Jazz Collective are the Triplepoint Trio of Doug Perry, Sam Suggs, and Jonny Allen, formed at the prestigious Yale School of Music. Weist added, "It has been an honour getting to know and work with these talented artists from different parts of the world. Each of them brings their own unique sound and nuances to the album and without each and every one of them this album would not have been possible. I hope that our devotion to detail will be apparent in the music and that you will enjoy Chronology: A Jazz Tribute to Chrono Trigger."

Chronology marks OC ReMix's second Chrono Trigger album dedicated to a specific musical style, following 2006's Chrono Symphonic, which focused on symphonic and orchestral arrangements. The album is also OC ReMix's second dedicated to live instruments following Sebastian Freij's 2015 project, Seven Songs for Seventh Saga, featuring Freij arranging and performing music from Japanese RPG The 7th Saga for cello trio.

About OverClocked ReMix

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. Its primary focus is ocremix.org, a website featuring thousands of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

###