Lonely gamer doesn't know how to make friends anymore.

duskvstweak

On 9/2/2016 at 2:25 PM, MindWanderer said:

Oh, yeah.  A friend who moved to another state made me very jealous by playing Portal 2 with his daughter.  But my daughter just turned 2 years old, and all our current friends' kids are no older than 4, so it's gonna be a while.  Believe me, I'm constantly evaluating them to see when they might be able to handle even something as simple as a LEGO game.  I have a long list of co-op games I want to try with my daughter when she's old enough, and hope she'll be interested.

Owen can play Peggle now, and it's a lot of fun watching him, haha.  Random parenting story: I bought Peggle 2 to listen for how the audio integration was improved, and let Owen play while I made lunch two weeks ago.  Suddenly I hear "Oh, FUCK IT!" from the other room, and it was the first time he'd sworn like that.  I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing so hard before asking where he'd heard that type of language.

Hey Ryan, is there place in your LoL gaming for someone who's basically a beginner to the genre? In the short term, I may or may not have time to play; I'm going through some pretty major stuff right now and it's hard to predict right now what any given night looks like. Longer-term though, I expect a ton of free time; with Will going to bed at 7ish, I'm usually free not far after 8 PM, even with going to the gym.

I feel everyone's pain about how hard it can be to find friends, especially if you're a quieter, more introverted, type. I lost a few friends I had through leaving the church a year ago (I tried to stay connected with them, but they were just too busy for someone they didn't see regularly any longer; I played in the church band with them), and lost a few more by walking from a band I was trying to put together when it became clear that only two of the six of us had the skill and passion and time commitment to get where we wanted to go. It's tough to find people to connect with if you don't have common interests, or if a lot of your interests are things that you can only do alone. Having a kid makes things a lot harder for me as well. I need to work out some other things first, but I hope to be in a position before too long where I can try and pursue some other interests. My cousins who live 5 hours away have gotten me into Pub Quiz, weekly trivia nights in a bar; I'm sure I can find something local and hopefully meet some people that way. Got to try to stay positive!

I might be mainly on OCE for League; but as a heavy introvert who adores this community, complete with social anxiety reaching the point of actually hampering his day-to-day life; I'd be happy to get back on my level 20-something NA account on League... as long as you guys are fine with playing with a guy with ping over 270.

On 9/6/2016 at 11:58 AM, Kanthos said:

Hey Ryan, is there place in your LoL gaming for someone who's basically a beginner to the genre? In the short term, I may or may not have time to play; I'm going through some pretty major stuff right now and it's hard to predict right now what any given night looks like. Longer-term though, I expect a ton of free time; with Will going to bed at 7ish, I'm usually free not far after 8 PM, even with going to the gym.

I feel everyone's pain about how hard it can be to find friends, especially if you're a quieter, more introverted, type. I lost a few friends I had through leaving the church a year ago (I tried to stay connected with them, but they were just too busy for someone they didn't see regularly any longer; I played in the church band with them), and lost a few more by walking from a band I was trying to put together when it became clear that only two of the six of us had the skill and passion and time commitment to get where we wanted to go. It's tough to find people to connect with if you don't have common interests, or if a lot of your interests are things that you can only do alone. Having a kid makes things a lot harder for me as well. I need to work out some other things first, but I hope to be in a position before too long where I can try and pursue some other interests. My cousins who live 5 hours away have gotten me into Pub Quiz, weekly trivia nights in a bar; I'm sure I can find something local and hopefully meet some people that way. Got to try to stay positive!

I'm bad at responding to things unless I'm actually tagged. :(

There absolutely is room for new folks though!  I'll caution that League has a ridiculously-high skill floor -- David Sirlin's comment about good players and newbies actually playing two totally different games applies here even more than it does in Street Fighter.  That said, I'm always happy to play with new folks.  I'm RTBardic, just add me and the next time we're both online (I'm usually around from 9:00 to 11:00 on the internet somewhere), just hit me up!

On 9/14/2016 at 9:04 AM, BardicKnowledge said:

I'm bad at responding to things unless I'm actually tagged. :(

There absolutely is room for new folks though!  I'll caution that League has a ridiculously-high skill floor -- David Sirlin's comment about good players and newbies actually playing two totally different games applies here even more than it does in Street Fighter.  That said, I'm always happy to play with new folks.  I'm RTBardic, just add me and the next time we're both online (I'm usually around from 9:00 to 11:00 on the internet somewhere), just hit me up!

Ok, so I'll probably get my ass kicked repeatedly, then. It'd still be fun to play with other people though! I'll see how my schedule works out now; it's quite erratic right now for several reasons, but it should hopefully calm down before too long.

so, revise your expectations. you'll get your ass kicked for, like, a year, and then you might be somewhat below average. the thing is, it's ok! it's all just learning systems and how to apply them...there's so much to learn though.

my username in game is currently "i buy movespeed", and we're still friends on skype. just hit me up at some point and i'll explain some basics.

17 hours ago, prophetik music said:

so, revise your expectations. you'll get your ass kicked for, like, a year, and then you might be somewhat below average. the thing is, it's ok! it's all just learning systems and how to apply them...there's so much to learn though.

my username in game is currently "i buy movespeed", and we're still friends on skype. just hit me up at some point and i'll explain some basics.

I don't mind getting my ass kicked; I just don't want to drag you guys down. I'll almost certainly be really busy for the next while, but I've got your info, and Ryan's, and I'll catch up when things settle down.

Wish you luck in finding some gaming pals! I feel similarly, not in that I can't find friends to play with (I've played on my own more or less), but that lately my interest level in gaming has declined considerably - nothing seems to hold my attention! I got into Stardew Valley most recently, dropped that at the beginning of the summer, and before that, The Witcher 3.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this from the dead, but I really can relate to the feelings expressed here.  Once I graduated from college and settled into a full-time job, having a naturally introverted personality I found it VERY hard to make new friends that had my interests.  Meetup proved successful for me.  Hope everyone here has had some success at this surprisingly difficult situation!

On 3/31/2017 at 3:24 PM, Argle said:

Sorry for resurrecting this from the dead, but I really can relate to the feelings expressed here.  Once I graduated from college and settled into a full-time job, having a naturally introverted personality I found it VERY hard to make new friends that had my interests.  Meetup proved successful for me.  Hope everyone here has had some success at this surprisingly difficult situation!

I did use Meetup when I was in Florida and it worked for a bit, but then I moved to the rural North. 

I know this might not sound perfect, but hanging around Twitch and chatting with streamers and viewers has kind of helped. It's not the same, it's not sitting around a table playing games and joking, or going to the movies, ect. It's kind of the caffeine-free  soda of hanging out with people.