*NO* Super Mario Land & Super Mario Bros. 'I Accidentally the Whole Mario'

Chimpazilla

-------------------------------

Note:  This was originally direct-rejected by Larry because it was only 1:18 long, but Larry felt the ideas were good and suggested Shael add more to it, which he has.

------------------------------

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name: Shael Riley
  • Your real name: Shael Riley
  • Your website: shaelriley.com
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 330

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario Land
  • Name of arrangement: I Accidentally the Whole Mario
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Level 1 BGM
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc:
    Originally an arrangement  I created in Famitracker, for NES hardware, back in 2010. Five years later, I took its component parts and re-arranged them in Sonar, adding modern post-production effects and non-chiptune elements

Cool ideas here.  I like the combination of both themes and the concept of doing a hip-hop style chill mix.  Unfortunately, it is the mixing that is tanking this.  The lead timbre is so dry and plain and piercy.  I like the occasional bends, but the sound itself needs some modulation or effects of some kind.  The lead at 1:10 by comparison sounds too wide and reverby, but still quite plain and vanilla. The backing chords are played by a simple timbre that is also too dry and doesn't provide much harmonic glue.  The track features one drum loop that repeats relentlessly.  There is no sidechaining so whenever the kick hits together with the snare, bass, and everything else, there is audible distortion.  The bass is muddy and indistinct.  Basically this is a cute little track in desperate need of a mixing overhaul.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/05/29 - (1N) Super Mario Land & Super Mario Bros. 'I Accidentally The Whole Mario'

Very interesting combination of instruments. Chippy goodness to chippy sources, I'm always a sucker for it. The different harmonizations are absolutely great on this, and the drums add a nice dimension to the track.

Quoting votes are so last month, but I'd like to say Chimp pretty much hits this on the head in her vote - mixing is inconsistent, and the triangle/bass causes distortion with the drums big time. The triangle itself specifically is mixed uncharacteristically loud, for a track like this, so consider bringing the level of that instrument down a bit, as well as sidechaining a little to the drums to give it space.

The drums themselves, while I like them overall they are generally repetitive. The fills are great, and there is some variation with the open hat, but overall it didn't feel like it was enough. It's a great drum part, but it's a great drum part that eventually feels like it's droning on. Change the pattern up a little bit - variety is the life spice, and all that jazz.

The second half of the track that covers the Mario 1 segment makes some odd choices when it comes to the stereo spread of the theme. It's not bad on it's own, but it contrasts negatively with what was done prior. If you like that effect, incorporate it more with the section prior, though I PERSONALLY think it would be better to leave the melody line without the spread, but it would work fine either way.

Some of the SFX throughout the track (the brass hit, the stuff at the end) hit pretty loud, when they come in. Too loud, really - bringing the SFX down to the levels of the rest of the track will still have the surprise factor that you're going for with it, while giving the listener a little less ear bursting.

I've said a lot, but I do like this track, in the end - it's clever with it's harmonizations, and the little additions here and there really make for something enjoyable. I've got to side with Chimp on the mixing end, though, and the stereo spread is inconsistent and disorienting. The loud bursts of sound also contribute to taking this below the bar, so fix those things and send it our way again - I'd like to see something like this posted.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/05/29 - (2N) Super Mario Land & Super Mario Bros. 'I Accidentally the Whole Mario'
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, Kris summed it up well.  Some neat ideas specially in the second half, but the mix is not very good, and the drum loop is on autopilot.  Even for a chip-style remix, the lead pulse synth lacks modulation to liven it up.  I feel this idea would work on a more developed and balanced mix but as it stands is too basic and with very evident issues.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Super Mario Land & Super Mario Bros. 'I Accidentally the Whole Mario'