Final Fantasy music

Hello all. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the community forum, or this one. I'm going to try this one, because what I'm going to ask is for research purposes. But if this is in the wrong place, or if I'm breaking any rules, please let me know and I'll rectify whatever problems arise.

I'm currently planning an episode of my podcast *points to the signature* devoted to the music of the main Final Fantasy games (1 through 14, none of the spin-offs). For this episode, I wanted to ask people what their favorite music piece is from each of the main Final Fantasy games, and why they like it. So I'm not really looking for "list your favorite FF tracks!" I'm looking specifically for how, and why your favorite track from each game resonated with you the most. Do you like how a particular piece was used in the game? Did a particular piece make you feel something you've never felt before? Are you in awe of how a particular piece was composed? Did any particular piece inspire your life and/or career in some way? Stuff like that.

Any help on this topic would be most appreciated. If you can't think of a piece from each of the 14 FF games, that's fine. But I would like at least one response from each FF game if at all possible. 

Thank you so much!

First is "Birth of A God" (FFVII). It's a great boss theme but sadly overshadowed by "One Winged Angel". 

Second is "Dreadful Fight" (FFIV) because of it's so catchy for a boss theme.

Next is "Kefka Theme" (FFVI). It's a perfect representation of Kefka's character and has a delightfully deranged circus feel. I've been thinking about remixing this one for a while.

Finally "Overworld" (FFX) for being an awesome Metal tune.

I think that should be a good start. 

FFIV has a ton of amazing music and it was my second JRPG after Mystic Quest, so it made quite an impact. In fact, I have trouble remembering music from FF6 because that earlier experience with IV was still towering over it. Doesn't make a lot of sense with some distance & objectivity now, but there it is.

Anyway, to pick a specific track.. I always recall "The Lunarians", not because it's the flashiest or the most catchy piece, but because it's simplicity and atmosphere were quite striking combined with the story and visuals associated with it, and how it's barrenness also stuck out from the rest of the soundtrack. Like "Another Moon", it captures the "magnificent desolation" of moon landscapes. edit: I think it's circling 5/4 rhythm combined with the gratuitous use of delay also help to set the mood.

The pieces of music I find most evocative in most of the games are of the "variations on a theme" sort.  The main battle themes of FF I-VI, with their powerful, classic bass line were part of what defined Final Fantasy for me--I actually had a huge grudge against Final Fantasy VII for many years just because they took that out (even though it appeared in "Birth of a God", one of my favorites as well), plus they changed "Fanfare" for it.  And I cut FF IX a lot of slack for exactly the same reason, only deciding pretty recently that it really wasn't as great as I felt at the time.

Similarly, "Cry in Sorrow" (from FFIV), "The Dragon Spreads its Wings" (from FFV) and "Terra" (from FFVI) are the ones that draw the most reaction from me, because their recurring use largely defines those games to me.  But what gets me every time is simply "Final Fantasy."  When I hear that in a game, I remember that Square still remembers its roots, even if they keep trying to branch out.

My favorite piece across all FF games: The Fierce Battle, first heard when fighting the Atma Weapon in Final Fantasy VI. I have always enjoyed VGM, but boss themes have especially resonated with me, as they are usually very emotional pieces that really get you into that moment. This song captures it for me in a way I have seen/heard in only one other game. For those who are curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Lr7nRjvEk

Here is the story of my experience from the game: I first played FFVI (or FFIII on the SNES) when I was 14, and I remember distinctly having a lot of trouble, very suddenly, when I got onto the Floating Continent in the World of Balance. The enemies were suddenly dealing crazy amounts of damage, had lots of hit points, and often killed at least one of my party members before I could finish the battle. It was a hard slog trying to get to a level where I was confident enough to see what happened next, but when I did, I saved and stepped into the next screen to where a bluish, writhing sprite sat blocking my way. Just another mid-boss, right?

Boy, was I wrong.

It started with this absolutely epic piece of music unlike anything I had heard in the game so far, against the Atma Weapon, a boss unlike anything I had faced so far. I remember my shock very clearly, and saying 'oh shit' loud enough for my parents to hear. It started the battle by dropping a Flare on Shadow; I had forgotten to replenish my Phoenix Downs, so I was relying on Terra and Locke to keep up with Life spells; I swore again when it started hitting me with Rasp. Occasionally I could Throw with Shadow, but I swear that game's AI KNEW that I was relying on him to deal any sort of significant damage. It wasn't long before my MP was gone and Hi-Potions were not enough to recover from Flare. Once I had no way to revive, my doom was complete.

Three rounds later, GAME OVER.

I was so shaken up by that battle that I couldn't play any more that day, and of course it was a rental, so I had to take it back the next day before I could finish. It wasn't until I was allowed to rent the game again, almost a year later, that I finally managed to defeat the Atma Weapon. Every time I hear that theme, I remember that first encounter; the shock, the rush to get all my commands in order, the despair of not being able to keep up, and the humiliating defeat.

Musically, this was an epic, dramatic symphony on par with Night on Bald Mountain. There's nothing out these in the world of boss music (sort of One-Winged Angel or Dancing Mad) I've found that gives me quite the same chill down my spine when I hear it. I would say this is definitely one of Nobuo Uematsu's greatest works.