Final Fantasy Prelude Cover - Tuba

AcoTuba

• 2 weeks later...

Dang, that sounded quite difficult! A few thoughts:

• Either your microphone or my crappy earbuds (or YouTube's encoding?) did not really capture the low notes very well.
  • I wonder if there are better spots for breaths -- honestly I'm already pretty impressed at how few breaths you took but they really do stand out a lot :(
  • Your note transitions sound very clean, intonation is quite good except a few bits where you seem to stretch a bit hard at the higher notes.
  • I like your tone!

Mmm, Tuba. Not enough of dat Tuba soloing action around here, and you do a pretty good job. Aside from a few flub'd notes, you hit the right notes with a nice warm tone, so great work on that. The breathing does disrupt the experience somewhat, but I understand that Tuba is certainly one of those instruments that takes too much air to circular breath so that's unavoidable. Two suggestions on how to alleviate that issue as much as possible, though: first, find a place that would not be too disruptive in the arpeggio to breath, and be consistent to that point (say, for example, the third note of the third arp on the run up, and the fourth note of the last arp on the run down). Second (and this is even more important!), don't play the notes that are missed, but instead continue with the music as if you played them. Missing a note due to breathing is glossed over by the listener, as they can imagine what was supposed to be there without any trouble, but messing up the meter by stopping to breath is disruptive. Prioritize playing in time at the cost of a note or two rather than stopping the music to breath, then continuing again.

It really is cool, though! Not often that you get a solo instrument like that on the WIP boards, and it always sounds cool when it's done well!

I wasn't going to say anything...so many Wips just kind of pass by and are never heard again...yet this one sticks out and I remember it, 2 week on. So, Its just a video recording and the sound isn't that great and there are pauses in it and tubas don't really lend themselves to solo covers and a few fumblings over the notes....but yet here I am, typing a comments, wheres as most times I just move on and forget. I think I know why, you've got a narrow genre on your hands, tuba covers of video game music and I say run with it. Find a structure to the Cover you're trying to make and go with it, now I'm not saying that Tuba-step is not a genre I'd like to hear, but with the Tube I feel like there are 3 choices; Orchestral, Marching Band and Polka   ....look.... those of us lucky enough to be exposed to polka know it gets hate, but its a fun genre of music and this site is about networking as much as its about video game and music, so maybe link up with some people give this site a Beer Barrel Polka style remix.