Getting started with remixing

Glowtree

Hi all,

I am new to the community and am interested in getting started with remixing. I know there are some other basic guides out there, but I guess I am just looking for some guidance.

Some background abouto me: I have a background in music, but nothing major: I can play piano and accordion a bit. I took a few years of piano lessons as a kid but never really got to an advanced stage. I am able to read music and have a decent ear for it, but know I need to improve my music theory. I've seen some good links for that on the OCR site.

What I am looking for help with is the remixing process itself. Say I have a song. I have an idea of what genre and sound I want. When I have dabbled in DAWs  before (I have a copy of FL Studio but never put a lot of time into it) I would recreate the song I'm interested in by either importing a midi and changing the instruments or using an external device to capture it (I have an Alexis Q61 to interface with FL Studio).

Does anyone have recommendations on actual remixing guides, like where to start and how to go through it from start to finish? I think it would be helpful to me to be able to walk through the process. I do not have a good understanding of what it all entails, and while I have some ideas I find it hard to execute them just because I don't know what I don't know. I'm sorry if this question is too vague or if there is a guide just sitting there that I somehow missed, but if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. 

A secondary question--for now, is it reasonable to use the Alexis Q61 and FL Studio as my only gear for remixing, or is that an impractical setup? I am willing to invest more down the line but would like to see what I can do with what I have now first, unless it's just very impractical to do so.

Thanks, and let me know if I can clarify anything.