NPR, King of Fighters, and VGM...

Nitwit

I was just listening to NPR Morning Edition (20 September 2016) and was surprised to see "Departure from South Town (FATAL FURY TEAM BGM)" by Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan used as one of the in-between music pieces.  This was not really a place I expected to see incidental VGM pop up for background music.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning-edition/

Edit: Wow, sorry...  I meant to paste a photo in here, but for some reason it won't stay in my post.  I'm not sure how to embed an image into this.  I'm not sure how to use the insert existing attachment.

Here's a more specific link: http://www.npr.org/programs/morning-edition/2016/09/20/494684657/morning-edition-for-september-20-2016?showDate=2016-09-20

It's near the bottom after the Europe segment. We dunno who's involved in selecting the transition music, but we've also had a few pieces from our Mega Man X community album Maverick Rising used on NPR in the past also, so we'd love to know who to credit for that. Always down with VGM on NPR! :-)

Thanks for the more specific link.

Wow, I had no idea that NPR used so much VGM.  That's the ultimate connection, that Maverick Rising was used.  Talk about mainstream...  Well, as mainstream as NPR is.  When they start using Chrono Symphonic or something like that to soundtrack Game of Thrones... that's mainstream.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm on the watch for VGM on NPR.  Maybe I should do some investigation in who selects the music for some of these shows.  On Today's All Things Considered, there is a song by Harris Cole called "Game Over."  I clicked on it to see if it was VGM related and instantly recognised the Super Mario World game over music.  I'd probably be doing the same thing if I was in charge of music over there.