*NO* Super Turrican 2 'Wormwood (Guitar Cover)'

Chimpazilla

This track is really conservative and follows the source arrangement very closely, it really is a cover.  The guitar work is really very good!  I would have preferred to hear a real bass instead of this saw synth bass which makes this even more conservative unfortunately.  The drums are pretty repetitive and the kick is almost inaudible and the snare doesn't sound great to me.  At 1:27 the arrangement repeats verbatim which is too bad, some soloing there instead would have been great.  The whole thing loops again at 2:47 and into a fadeout (blarg).  So yeah, great guitar work but a lot more arrangement work is needed here to pass OCR

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/04/26 - (1N) Super Turrican 2 'Wormwood (Guitar Cover)'
  • 2 weeks later...

Very solid performance, and a great cover for the track. The fade-out ending doesn't really do it justice, and the lower end of the EQ gets pretty crowded with that chuggin' rhythm guitar and synth, but overall it's a sweet sounding cover.

As Chimp pointed out, the conservative nature of this track does run against the goals of this site - OCR requires some interpretation of the source for the material it posts. It's nothing against this arrangement, as it's a great performance, but it's unfortunately not what OCR is looking for. Thanks for submitting, though - I got a kick out of it.

NO

As the others have expressed, this is a great cover, with some nice guitar work and tones.

The style suits the original well. The organ is a little weak compared to the rest of the performance, but it's not used an awful lot throughout the song. These sections did get a little muddy, although I think a lot of this has to do with the bassline underneath clashing with the guitar's lower frequencies. I also thought the drums were lost in the mix a bit (they pop through but are pretty obscured).

Aside from the above, the key issue here is you're too close to the source to pass. Following a source of this length also makes things feel repetitive without some kind of change or pace or feel, which this lacks. It really wouldn't be hard to add in some original goodness into this track to make it fit the guidelines, and it wouldn't hurt to revisit your mixing to squeeze out some more clarity (especially if you stick with the synth bass). Have another look at this.

NO