Lylat System CLEAR: A Star Fox Tribute Album

The Nikanoru

On 31/03/2017 at 6:46 PM, The Nikanoru said:

New updates on the WIP Spreadsheet:

Check them out, let us know what you think!

Listened to them all... MANY times each ^^

@Etzaen -- Love the intro and outro as well as that "Mega Man Zero" vibe the whole track has. Still, I think you should try and mess around with the Pitch and Mod Wheels to try and make your leads more colorful (especially during the bridge section). The last part also feels like it's screaming for a bombastic solo (I can clearly see the distortion guitar you introduced in the bridge re-appear here for that purpose). I don't know if you want to go electronic or acoustic with the drums, but I feel like your track could benefit from a bit/lots more variations depending on your choice. Other than that, it's pretty awesome and I'm glad Star Fox 2 is having the recognition it deserves -- can't wait to listen to the final version :)

@Thirdkoopa -- With this one, I can clearly see myself in a bar in the 30s, enjoying a drink while the jazz band is jammin' in the background (I can almost tell what it smells like in there). It's a bit too repetitive for me to just sit down and focus on the listen, but it definitely serves its purpose as a ambient piece. I wish the drummer could add more variety in his performance (it's pretty boring there... especially for a jazzy stuff). I also think some instruments are played too loud a few time but it also adds to that "live performance" charm the piece has. Not being my favorite style of jazz, I can't really go deeper with my critique... but it clearly isn't bad at all.

@Siolfor the Jackal -- Now, THAT'S what I'm talking about! Some good ol' metal to wake you up and remind you that everything isn't all nice and easy in a Star Fox game :D Aggressive rhythm guitars, a drummer who hates to be bored and synths for more sound variety -- a damn good recipe ;) I'd personally add a Pad/Synth Strings for the intro to play chords and give more of an Epic Progressive Rock feel to it before altering them a bit at 0:14 to make sure it evolves along with the track. I'd probably be nice to re-introduce the Pad at the 1:50 part (or a portion of it) for coherence but maybe it'll be too much synths at the same time -- since we also have a Synth Lead here too. Then comes the bridge -- LOVE it! Yet another track I look forward to listen to when complete!

In the end, I really like how -- with these three tracks -- we keep getting an idea of how much variety the album is gonna have. Keep up the great work, guys!

55 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

Should we contacts these guys? Or are all the tracks for the most part already taken?

Did anyone else besides me not know about this?

That seems to be a thread from 2012 that nobody collaborated on. I'm not sure the owner would even be interested anymore.

Heh heh ... Hi everyone! Apologies for being absent over the last couple of days, but I'm back now, so...

ALL SHIPS CHECK IN!

---

First of all, thank you to everyone on the project for responding to me on check-ins! :D Communication is key to keeping this project on track and I wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone making the effort to let me know where they are at.. Of course, not everyone was able to get me an update in time for the deadline, but I should have progress from everyone over the next few weeks. I'll let everyone know as I have been when a new WIP is posted.

We currently have 27 claims out of a possible 32 tracks. We were unable to meet our side goal of a full 32 claims, so I'll be moving these goals to the July 1st deadline. 5 tracks are still left to claim!

We may have reached our goal of 12 complete tracks, but I'm not sure yet. I do have some more updated WIPs to post; I will post them to the spreadsheet over the next few days, once I get the chance to sit down and go through everything. There will be some color changes... hopefully enough to push us over the line! Thanks to everyone who gave this a priority. :)

I've spoken to the artist I contracted and he says his schedule will be clearing up over the next few weeks to work on the poster and cover art. I've been kicking around a few ideas with him and we think we have a good concept; going to be sticking with an 'Arwings in Space' motif (like the sig banner) but with a little more action, maybe a battle or zooming orbital... something. He's told me the latest he'll have something ready for the poster is early June. I'll post it to the thread once it's ready to go.

@Starphoenix and I will be putting together a framework for the website this quarter. Once we have a working design, I'll be putting out a call for artist bios. I'll put together some clearer instructions when I announce, but it's not a bad idea to start thinking about it.

---

The next deadline is July 1st, 2017. Remixers will once again be required to at least confirm progress and I'm actively asking for orange status WIPs. A reminder that all tracks will require orange status by October 1st - the sooner you complete the track, the easier it will be at this point! Final deadline for the project remains July 1st, 2018, but I would like to complete it sooner if possible so we have a better chance of a 2018 release. Any effort made to this end would be appreciated!

It's fantastic to see the collaboration going on and folks jumping in to help where needed - a round of applause should go to our Audio Support team for their help providing a different set of ears for track review and feedback. The tracks we have are sounding great so far and with every bit of progress we make, we are one step closer to fulfilling @Thomas Neil's vision. Thanks again to everyone for making this possible! :)

More posts to come as updates occur. Keep up the great work!

---

Oh, and @TheChargingRhino's track has been updated on the WIP spreadsheet. Let her know what you think!

17 hours ago, The Nikanoru said:

Oh, and @TheChargingRhino's track has been updated on the WIP spreadsheet. Let her know what you think!

@TheChargingRhino -- I am constantly surprised by how fast you're evolving each time I listen to your latest WIPs -- trying to step away from the source to offer something original and express yourself as an artist. You really have something great here, and I like to believe that the structure of the mix is there and it's time to polish the arrangement and perfect the mixing and everything ;)

I like the idea of the bass being pitched down for the intro but I think it is too shy for now and you should probably try to go a bit crazier with it. Same goes for the low-fi FX on the first part of your drums. I personally think the Orchestra Hit is too loud, but that may be just me. At 1:21, wouldn't it be nice to go really aggressive here and add a Wah FX on the distortion instrument in the background and then, at 1:31 -- for the final note --, slowly pitch down the final note for the closure? You drums need to be punchier, more powerful and bring more energy to the track -- I'd also recommend you vary the rhythm at 2:17-2:35 for it's getting too repetitive there, and perhaps implement more fills at the end of some parts to introduce the following one. Maybe I don't hear it, but do you use Hi-hats? 'Cause I feel like it's seriously lacking some, especially during the 'chorus' where the absence of harmonies/counter-melodies makes it a little empty. Lastly, I guess you want to add real guitar recordings to your track -- definitely do so (part 2.21 screams for an arranged riff based of this rhythm). I think adding reverb, pan and other FXs/technics wouldn't hurt either but I'll need a more advanced WIP to judge.

Anyway, it's a very nice track with very clever ideas, sweet arpeggios and interesting new melodies here and there that is pleasant to listen to. Synthwave being a repetitive style of music, it makes the repetitive chord progression digestible... so that's okay :)

Just like I did with the Boss, I recommend you check out Nigel Silva's tutorial videos on YouTube to see if you can use some of his tricks to your advantage, make the song even better and, perhaps, learn new stuff :D

Quick thing about the drums:

Since the drums and all are made in Sibelius and Drum charting is ANNOYING, it's more of a "Mood set"; we're either going to go with different samples that sound very good or a real drummer. With the time we have and seeing that the rest of the band is filled up (and we're going to add more potentially to this piece) we're *definitely* going to change those from copy pasta to 'really varied and not boring'

10 minutes ago, Thirdkoopa said:

Quick thing about the drums:

Since the drums and all are made in Sibelius and Drum charting is ANNOYING, it's more of a "Mood set"; we're either going to go with different samples that sound very good or a real drummer. With the time we have and seeing that the rest of the band is filled up (and we're going to add more potentially to this piece) we're *definitely* going to change those from copy pasta to 'really varied and not boring'

Irrelevant to the track, but about the drum samples; Do you have any general tips when it comes to programming drums to make them sound better/more realistic? I'll add reverb and flanger every once in a while and try to humanize them with different velocity intensity, but what else would you recommend?

8 minutes ago, M_Blacki said:

Irrelevant to the track, but about the drum samples; Do you have any general tips when it comes to programming drums to make them sound better/more realistic? I'll add reverb and flanger every once in a while and try to humanize them with different velocity intensity, but what else would you recommend?

My assistant personally recommends making sure that the down beats (1, 2, 3, 4) are emphasized compared to the offbeats. Listen to drums and analyze them - See what makes them feel real.

On 06/04/2017 at 9:13 PM, M_Blacki said:

Do you have any general tips when it comes to programming drums to make them sound better/more realistic?

Once I have my drum session programmed -- without any humanization -- I like to play the track with my drum sequence window open that I use as a tab to perform the instrument on the keyboard. Not being a good 'keyboard drummer', I take it slow and one part at a time -- I record the kick only first, then the snare, then the hi-hats, etc. -- until I'm done with the whole instrument.

I then edit my performance -- since I'm absolutely not good at all ^^' -- and re-position some sequences better -- only when it really sounds off (the kick, snare and cymbals are particularly important) -- before working on the velocities. Sometimes, you can trust your DAW's 'humanization tool' (around 10% for the kick and snare and 30% for the hi-hats and ride) but you'll definitely want to check the whole thing afterward and edit individual notes/pack of notes together.

A good understanding of the instrument is necessary though. When composing for that instrument you must visualize the drummer play and keep in mind he only has two hands and two feet. Air drumming is recommended for such circumstances -- don't laugh, I do that ;)

A good sampled VST is worth having, that goes without saying. Here is probably the most popular free one you can get to work on any DAW: http://www.powerdrumkit.com/

Here are a few videos that could help you too -- ghost notes and everything must not be neglected:

Hope this helps -- we've all been there :)

1 hour ago, M_Blacki said:

Do you have any general tips when it comes to programming drums to make them sound better/more realistic?

Just to add to what has already been said about realism, last year I asked @timaeus222 about how to make my sequencing less mechanical. The context was instrument sequencing, but I think it can be applied to percussion too:

The main way I use to make my sequencing less mechanical (or at least seem less mechanical) is to adjust both the velocity magnitudes and timing. For me, it helps to have an idea of how to imagine a note sequence with pitch (notes), rhythm (timing), and loudness (velocities). [...]

If I want to get an idea out fast, then I would do such velocity adjustments to a sequence after I record it on my MIDI keyboard [...] it's not extravagant/elaborate but it's enough for me to design sounds or brainstorm ideas). It seems trivial, but having a MIDI keyboard and being able to play piano in even a basic manner can help your MIDI-based sequences sound more fluid or less rigid; humanized rhythm is really only slightly different from mechanical sequencing at times, but once you hear the difference, it's hard to unhear it.

I have since found that sequencing percussion is actually pretty wide open in FLS; I can either play the percussion parts out through the plugin (under one channel) or pull the actual WAVs and manipulate each waveform directly (assigning each WAV to its own channel), depending on what sort of 'realism' I am looking for with the sound. Sometimes even slight EQ adjustments, slight pitch adjustments, or even where the drum skin is struck can effect the 'realness' of the sound; I, however, have had very little chance to experiment with this, so I can't advise much closer than that at this time.

I hope this helps ... and I totally endorse air-drumming as a timing and sequencing aide as well. :)

I also support air drumming.

Nika, I HAVE AN IDEA FOR STAFF ROLL.

Recreate the ending sequence. "Come in, Corneria!" ENTIRELY

Then lead into the staff roll.

Come out of the staff roll to various computer/data center noises

THEN, have a voice over of various people in "the command tower" talking about random stuff, Fox and gang comes in and talk about "payment", Pepper agrees, Fox leaves the room, but not before giving Pepper the amount he wants, which leads Pepper to say "WWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTT????!!!!"

THEN: Some lesser people run over to him and say "We've got a lot of fighters heading our way. They aren't ours."

During this, a remix of Corneria starts to fade in, to set the mood, you know.

Pepper: "...Drat...How many?"

Some other guy: "We don't know, our scanner can't track them all, sir."

Pepper, gravely: "...Right...Well, there's only one thing to do, then."

Cut out to silence for a few seconds, then we can have a repeat of the siren thing from SCRAMBLE, Corneria remix ends about here.

I have already done the Corneria remix.

I asked Crimson to give me the midi for "Come in, Corneria". I will do all the voice overs, if need be.

29 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

Nika, I HAVE AN IDEA FOR STAFF ROLL.

Unfortunately, the Staff Roll tracks have already been taken by @Slimy as a part of his Ode to Star Fox remix. 'Come in Corneria' as you call it (or 'Game Clear Demonstration' as my source file calls it) has not been claimed, but now that I've submitted the project to OCR (even though I changed the tracklist one last time just after I did), I'm reluctant to change the tracklist any more than it already has been. I'd offer you the claim as a bonus track, but you already have Clipped Wings on the way! :)

That being said, I've considered adding a narrative element to the album after the last conversation we had regarding a 'radio play' approach to SCRAMBLE - we boiled it down to the vocals we have at the beginning, but I still think it's a cool idea. @YoshiBlade's Candy Corn album was a big inspiration to me in this regard; listening to that whole thing gave me buckets of ideas for possible future projects.

I'll consider this over the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, everyone: feel free to let me know what you think about this.

-----

I've received @M_Blacki's Sector Y update, and he's now let me post to the WIP spreadsheet. He's gone with the SF64 version instead of the waltz from SF SNES - give it a listen and let us know what you think!

Yoshi Blade liked your comment, Nika, that is awesome.

ALSO-I remade Corneria using a bunch of soundfonts.

Enjoy.

drums/guitar/bass version

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cNg5GTkCUIUXAzLUptMEl1MzQ

everything version

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cNg5GTkCUIOGZ0UklVVVFJMDA

I think I have one wrong note in there, I think you'll realize what note it is. 

I also have no idea why there's 20 seconds of silence at the end, but it is loopable.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:26 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

Am I ACTUALLY the ONLY girl to be on this project? 

THE HORROR! 

You are .. so far. There are still 5 claims left open!

18 hours ago, Cole Train said:

You mean like conversations amongst the characters like at the beginning of tracks?

I fucking love that idea. 
Also since i'm already doing a rap as him, I mean I could voice fox if needed. With either my regular voice or a (amazingly) terrible Fox impression. 

I'm not sure exactly what form this will take yet, but that's one idea.

It would make sense to have specific folks voice the characters throughout that album, wouldn't it? I recorded my own voice as Fox and Falco for my Bad Weather WIP (yes, I do have something, just not enough to post yet), but I think it would be awesome to have the same voice for a character no matter where it is on that album. I may have to get you to record a line or two for me if we go ahead with this. :)

5 hours ago, TheChargingRhino said:

ALSO-I remade Corneria using a bunch of soundfonts

You did. There are a couple of wrong notes in there, but I'm not in front of my keyboard right now.

Shouldn't this be posted in your remake project thread instead? Or are you still building that?

---

Who else would be interesting in voice acting if we went with that? The main 6 roles would be Fox, Falco, Slippy, Peppy, Pepper, and Andross, and we'll include Krystal. Not sure which characters would be included at this point. I guess I would take Pepper, since I already voiced him in SCRAMBLE and I'll take Andross if no one else does.

Still looking for more feedback on the narrative too - let us know what you think.

Yes.

I SHALL REMAKE IT BY MYSELF IF i HAVE TO!

Very angry at Winamp right now, can't convert RSN files to mp3s.

I need various songs from SF and SF2.

Yeah, I know what notes are wrong. 

Anyway, I need "Briefing", "Good Luck!" "Emergency Call"

I can listen to the files, I can't convert them.

Version I have on my laptop is 5.66.

Version on my desktop seems to be somehow missing the decoder...

Oh well. 

Also, if you guys need me to, I can voice any girl character.

But no high pitch stuff, please, I'm alto. 

Update time!

• I've posted @Ronald Poe's update of Fleet From the Stars to the WIP spreadsheet. Give it a listen and tell us what you think!
  • I've finally redone the colors according to the current WIPs - check the top of this thread for tracks I'm now calling orange due to the new color assignments. You can always shoot me a PM to ask for any clarity on why I assigned the way I did.

Everyone was in contact with me at least briefly before the last update. Thanks again for this; however, given the information I was given at the time, I'm still waiting for updated WIPs from the following folks:

If you haven't already, please get in touch with me and let me know what is going on. A new WIP for SCRAMBLE is still coming - I have all the parts, I just haven't put them together yet. I'll make sure this is done before the weekend is over. I will attempt to do the same for Bad Weather...

Also - with all the updates I received (which we will count for this past deadline) means we have 12 orange status tracks! We made our goal! Thanks again to everyone for the extra help getting us across this line.

Keep the beautiful noise coming, everyone. Just because I set deadlines doesn't mean your track can't be finished early! :)

PM me if you have any questions or concerns. Cheers!

If anyone's available, can I get a review of my Sector Y track? I've moved on to other projects in the meantime to give myself a break, but some criticism or even suggestions on how to improve it would get me back on track and be extremely helpful. Anyone's opinion is welcome. 

• Liontamer changed the title to Lylat System CLEAR: A Star Fox Tribute Album