MnP 62: Super Metroid - Red Brinstar

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 62: Howlowe'en(ish??) Super Metroid - Red Brinstar

Midihttp://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP62_smetbri1.mid

Youtube:

"None of the super spooky tracks i could think of had midis so heres  more mysterious than spooky pick from an all around atmospheric game. Red Brinstar from super metroid (not to be confused with green brinstar).  I wonder what makes the soil red...?"

- Esperado

Deadline: Oct 26th Wed 1PM

Vote Ends: Oct 28th Fri 11 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  - made by Trism ;) 

Submit your remix Here when completed. 
**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact me via PM and I will submit your track and will also tally your vote**

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines
1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
6. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

2 hours ago, APZX said:

Well since I'm still working on the last part of a song I figured a quick break from that might help a bit. Already, submitted my entry, though like an idiot I left silence in the end because recording is weird. Still love Super Metroid with its just completely off the wall weird but fantastic soundtrack.

You can always edit it and resubmit!

20 hours ago, Starphoenix said:

I'm going to work on my track this week and try to submit it next weekend. Just have a question though: is the goal to make this track sound spooky, or is that description simply playing off the month? What I have right now doesn't really classify as "spooky," so I just want to make sure.

Either or is fine with me and the other voters I'm sure, so long as it fits the MNP standard.  Even then it doesn't really matter as people tend to vote whatever they feel like anyhow lol.

41 minutes ago, Starphoenix said:

Finished my alt track. Not sure how I feel about it, but it fits the theme better, I think. I'll submit it in a few.

remember, you can work on it as long as you want to, so long as its under the deadline. Maybe experiement with some fx, or make sure the mixing is just right? up to you, but It can't hurt. 

1 hour ago, Esperado said:

remember, you can work on it as long as you want to, so long as its under the deadline. Maybe experiement with some fx, or make sure the mixing is just right? up to you, but It can't hurt. 

I've tweaked it a little more, but honestly I think I've just hit my creative threshold.

EDIT: Track has been submitted.

This is a lovely source because it is so simple structurally that it really leaves a lot open for interpretation. I mean I've got this really low key vibey sort of thing. Hoboka came up with this, dare I say, 70s-esque Sci-Fi take on it (really just missing that HF flutter honestly lol) that suits the material equally as well. Then you've got Starphoenix with something I'd hear in a low budget horror Sci-Fi flick (I mean that in the best way possible btw, I love cheesy Sci-Fi horror movies)! Absolutely, incredible the differences in approaches. 

1 hour ago, APZX said:

This is a lovely source because it is so simple structurally that it really leaves a lot open for interpretation. I mean I've got this really low key vibey sort of thing. Hoboka came up with this, dare I say, 70s-esque Sci-Fi take on it (really just missing that HF flutter honestly lol) that suits the material equally as well. Then you've got Starphoenix with something I'd hear in a low budget horror Sci-Fi flick (I mean that in the best way possible btw, I love cheesy Sci-Fi horror movies)! Absolutely, incredible the differences in approaches. 

I REALLY had no creativity other than the soundscape going on.  IDK some weeks or even months, my brain just refuses to cooperate with my heart.  =p 

EDIT

but other than the exact opposite of self aggrandizement, I do really appreciate the feedback.  Next time, though, save it for the voting stage please :) 

Results

• Starphoenix & Zorakh TIED for 1st with 19 points.
  • APZX got 2nd with 10 points
  • HoboKa got last with points.

Starphoenix and Zorakh please pm me for round 63

Comments

Holy crap...this must be the 3rd or 4th tie in the history of MnP.  

EDIT

Also, I've given up on the idea of a back-to-back Howlowe'en-MNP-month.  I didn't plan this out right as we're now at the 29th lol.  I mean, if you guys WANT to pick something spooky, that is fine by me, but it isn't a necessity.  

On October 28, 2016 at 1:04 AM, HoboKa said:

Forgot to add a comment for Esperado's Bonus.  So I'll do it now.  11/10 super sexy; if "Freezecannon" had a physical manifestation I'd take it out for dinner and do to it like they do on the discovery channel.  It is a feast for the ears with a vibrant atmosphere and tons of reverby love.  

Glad you enjoyed it! nice  reference there. Good round! 

Edit: i just realized the freeze beam is indeed in super metroid. Wtf, better go play it again.