Nintendo Switch

DarkeSword

9 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

This is the video game industry in 2017 we're talking, how many anticipated games actually deliver on the hype?

Though Zelda is almost always good 

That's probably true, but I'm going to wait.

Even if Zelda and Mario end up being great, I'd like to see the Switch supported by first and third parties for the long term before I jump on board.

Edited by Neifion

Nintendo! Crazy idea: offer the tablet by itself (with the joycons, of course).

Looking at Nintendo's Buy Now page, there's a list of each component and its price. The dock is listed as $90 US, which is less than a third of the whole price. Now, I don't know exactly what the dock offers aside fro acting as a charging port for the tablet and outputting the display to a HD TV. But if the Switch is supposed to be a console and a portable, surely I can just use the Switch as a portable if I want to.

The price would be lower, and it would still work fine as a portable (some of us prefer portable over console, it's true!), and then entry price would be lower... say $250. That's about what the 3DS was on release, and the Switch would be far more powerful, warranting the price. If I want to, I can buy a dock for it later.

That only leaves the battery issue, which could be fixed by a proper expanded battery accessory or just grabbing a decent USB rechargeable battery pack.

You still get the same everything, just not on a TV... which isn't something that handheld players are necessarily into in the first place.

...I can actually buy the Switch...wow... (have around $380 now, gonna get a bunch more on Friday. Why? IT'S MY BIRTHDAAAAYYYYY!)

Buuuttttt, I can't.

Not can I preorder Zelda or Yooka-Laylee. ($100 bucks, (might include taxes...?) More if you want the game guides.)

In fact, I can't even BUY them until the reviews start pouring in... (Might change later...?)

We shall see.

They might start offering more modular packages later on.  Could be like the XBox One and Kinect; if people end up treating the thing just as a portable, they may start packing it without the dock for $50 less.  Or they might pack it with a charging grip (the lack of one seems to be a gripe; I plan to buy one) or more onboard memory.

I don't know how anyone lives without a portable USB battery pack these days.  I rigged one with a belt clip so I can just wear it any time I go anywhere other than work for more than a couple of hours.  I'm guessing Bleck doesn't travel much.

My Wii U is one of my favorite systems I've ever owned.  I don't need a hundred titles I want to play, I just need one every couple of months.  I got more than that out of Nintendo's first party titles.  Whether the market feels that way... well, time will tell.  We definitely don't have another Wii on our hands, but I don't think we have another Wii U either.

If it weren't for BotW, I would wait at least until Splatoon 2.  And if it weren't for Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, I would likely just get BotW on the Wii U.  But I can't turn down that lineup.

I have to admit, I'm a little hesitant to get a first-run model, but Nintendo tends to nail these.  They've never had to re-issue a console the way Microsoft and Sony have (though they did discontinue the 8GB Wii U).  About their biggest flub was the first-run 3DS and its need for the Circle Pad Pro, but even that, the users didn't seem to mind much.

And since it's portable, there's a strong chance I'll end up getting a second-run model at some point anyway... my wife may be fighting me for the first one, and if it has as long a run as the Wii/PS3/360 generation did, I'll end up fighting with my daughter someday too.

1 hour ago, MindWanderer said:

I don't know how anyone lives without a portable USB battery pack these days.  I rigged one with a belt clip so I can just wear it any time I go anywhere other than work for more than a couple of hours.

Actually, I hardly need to charge up daily. I run my phone with a decent power-saving setup and unless I'm using 4G and/or playing media all day, I don't get below 50% most of the time. And I have one of those sweet, sweet Mugen batteries for my 3DS. Best battery purchase ever.

It obviously varies person to person because of individual use, of course.

I'm guessing Bleck doesn't travel much.

He does. He travels the lands, telling it like it is, and putting people in their place, whether they deserve it or not. :<

52 minutes ago, Bleck said:

Bleck lives in a small town where he needs to take the bus for an hour and a half to get to work, and knows that anyone with a longer commute than that is likely doing it to a job that pays well enough where you could just buck up and buy the extra chargers 

Which only cost about as much as a new Switch game anyway.

This battery life thing really is nothing. I don't know why people are upset over it. Considering the caliber of game being run on a Switch as compared to, say, a smartphone, 2-6 hours is actually good.

To compare: The battery life of the New Nintendo 3DS XL is 3.5 to 7 hours. Not a huge difference.

Well also, and I feel like people are really getting this wrong, Switch is not a "portable system" like 3DS. I mean yeah, they're touting the portability of it, but Switch is a home console that can also be made portable. It's not really meant to replace the Gameboy/DS line the way some people think it is. A lot of us are adult gamers and we keep thinking about the Switch as adult gamers; about the convenience of taking it on the commute, or to a party, or while we're traveling. But Nintendo's always done very well with a specific demographic: kids. The Switch is a pretty sleek $300 machine, and that's not really something to give to an 8 year old that she can take with her to a lot of places. A lot of times siblings have their own 3DSes or 2DSes too. Nintendo still has to satisfy that market with a portable-first system that's a bit more rugged and a bit more affordable.

Am I wrong here? OCR parents, back me up: would you buy your younger kid a Switch and trust them to take it around everywhere with them? My guess is "no," but I don't have kids of my own.

15 minutes ago, The Damned said:

I'd like to remind everyone of Nintendo's statement that the introduction of the DS would not mean the end of the GameBoy Advance as Nintendo's portable system.

Any one remember how that turned out?

And DarkeSword, people willingly give their kids $1000 smartphones. To keep. For themselves.

And tablets

And gta5

And give their 16 year old the car keys

You better believe that they'll give them a 4-500 video game system

1 hour ago, The Damned said:

I'd like to remind everyone of Nintendo's statement that the introduction of the DS would not mean the end of the GameBoy Advance as Nintendo's portable system.

Any one remember how that turned out?

And DarkeSword, people willingly give their kids $1000 smartphones. To keep. For themselves.

No, people willingly give their kids smartphones they pay $200 for because of carrier deals. Adults don't really even pay $1000 for smartphones for themselves.

And the thing about DS and Gameboy is different because the DS and Gameboy were both portable systems, and that statement was just Nintendo hedging their bets on a risky, experimental system (2 screens, touch, etc.); i.e. if the DS failed to capture the market, they could fall back on the Gameboy line.

The Switch is designed to be a home console successor that iterates on the Wii and the Wii U, not a 3DS successor.

2 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

Am I wrong here? OCR parents, back me up: would you buy your younger kid a Switch and trust them to take it around everywhere with them? My guess is "no," but I don't have kids of my own.

Depends on the age, the kid's personality, and their lifestyle.  Most kids wouldn't want to pack around that massive tablet any more than I would, but the 3DS is pocket-sized.  I have friends with very mature kids (usually teenagers, but some as young as 10) who I think could be trusted with a $300 game system if that was within the family's budget.  And if their lifestyle is such that keeping it in a backpack (in a padded case) and pulling it out when they're waiting around for something, and they're not getting bullied or anything that would create a high theft/vandalism risk, then quite possibly.

(My own kid is 2, but if this ends up being a 10-year console generation again, and a 2nd-gen Switch is tempting, she might inherit my old one.)

1 hour ago, DarkeSword said:

And the thing about DS and Gameboy is different because the DS and Gameboy were both portable systems, and that statement was just Nintendo hedging their bets on a risky, experimental system (2 screens, touch, etc.); i.e. if the DS failed to capture the market, they could fall back on the Gameboy line.

The Switch is designed to be a home console successor that iterates on the Wii and the Wii U, not a 3DS successor.

Do you think they aren't hedging their bets with the 3DS and Switch? They know any new console is risky. They saw unbelievably high sales on the Wii, and then really low sales on the Wii U. The 3DS had a rocky start, and almost ended upa footnote, but they managed to salvage it and it's been doing pretty good since.

Then they make a system that is both a portable and a home console? At the same time? That's risky as fuck.

Nintendo obviously wants it to sell well. They want Wii-level sales figures. But if they see that it sells a lot more than 3DS, they will focus on the Switch entirely and phase out 3DS. It's just smart business: older, cheaper product doesn't sell as much as newer, more expensive product = sell more of newer more expensive product.

And I'm saying this as someone that loves the 3DS. I don't want the 3DS to get phased out. But I think it could very well happen.

I think it looks great.  If it could have played 3DS games I would have jumped all over it since I never bought a 3DS.

I did initially pre-order it and Zelda but cancelled both.  I can save $ now and later by waiting.  Just purchase it on a combo deal once multiple good games come out for it that are only available on it.  If you own a WiiU and are not a big Splatoon fan there is no big reason to buy it the first 6 months.

Switch is replacing both 3DS and Wii U eventually. They don't want to kill 3DS just yet because it's been performing well and they can develop cheaper games for it.

However, stuff like Atlus putting SMTV on it, new FE game being developed for it and Square Enix putting the Bravely Default on Switch (Project Octopath) is a signal that 3DS franchises are making their move to Switch, even if it won't be as quick as some people hoped for.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if smaller 3rd parties keep supporting the 3DS for a while. It's sold like 22 million systems on Japan which is a quite good userbase to put games on.