Banjo-Kazooie: 'Ridiculous Industries'

chumble spuzz

Hey, all! Haven't posted here in forever...but anyway. The song.

Banjo-Kazooie: Ridiculous Industries

It's a whimsical ReMix of "Grunty's Lair" from Rare's glory days on the N64. Only recently have I had the time/resources to work on it, so I figured, "It's one of my better musical wip's, so why not finish?" So, at this point I've taken the arrangement to where I wanted to go; what's left to worry about is SOUND QUALITY. So, kindly, let me know if it hurts your ears. :)

note: Sorry about the extra click to download the song, and nevermind SoundClick raping my bitrate a little...it's only a little rape.

hey this actually pretty cool. the sound quality isn't bad, unless you're talking about sample quality: some of the drum samples are kinda weak and that piano around 3:00 as well, though I guess it adds to the whimsical-ness of the song.

my only real problem with this song is that it doesn't really sound ridiculous enough. in parts like 0:57, since the main instrument doesn't really change, it would be nice if everything playing around it changed a bit more instead of just that snare drum pattern. and around 2:50 it would be nice if when those laughing samples and the chainsaw samples came in the instruments still playing in the background became more chaotic (ie. wrong notes, playing out of time, etc) or something, because the crash on the downbeat doesn't really do it imo. i think this is a solid foundation for a good song but i think it needs a bit more.

It's about time that we have some Banjo Kazooie WIPs. Such a great game that needs more attention, IMO.

First off, congrats on a good mix. You certainly have a very solid mix here.

Radiowar hit some of the points on the head. Try messing around with the melody a bit more. The main tune itself can get extremely repetative simply because it's not very long. Rare intended it to be that way and the reason for that was that they combatted the repetativeness with changing the genre/theme when you change areas in Gruntilda's Lair. Maybe you ought to consider doing a little more of that, but that is NOT necesary by any means. You have found a way to incorporate the monotonous theme from the game into one genre and it never felt too repetative to me. However, I did feel like some parts seemed a little close to the source. Having direct "rips" is not bad, but use it to establish the main melody that you're working with and then go crazy with it. Mix it, mash it, change it, etc. Like Radiowar said, go crazy with it :)!

And I agree with the drums/percusion. It does seem a little weak here and there. There are times where the music builds but the drums stay on their same level. Consider expanding them a bit and giving them a little more dynamic sound.

Good work :).

Yay for Banjo Kazooie!

Right, the sound quality. While it isn't terrible, you can't help but imagine if it was better. But you know that.

The idea here is very inspired, and really compliments the style of the game itself. But I agree with the above. I think the more "ridiculous" this gets, the better. It's like you attempted whimsey with a sort of reserve, if that makes any sense. I really want to hear some bended notes and the like...

Hey, thanks for all the input, guys! Great suggestions all around. When I get some more time (likely this weekend, possibly sooner) I'll hammer on some of those percussion- and riduculosity-issues. May not be terribly soon however, as I'm lately experiencing what I fear may be early symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. :? Not a good sign for a young career visual artist such as myself...

Anyway, I'm thinking about replacing the synth oom-pahs on the left at 1:45 with one o' them leslie-type organs...I'm imagining a baseball theme. I wonder if i could work in some squishy noises? I suspect that would just be the bee's knees. :wink:

Hey, what about a Katamari-inspired computer-choir? :D (been playing a lot of We <3 Katamari lately) But I'd have to figure out how to pull that of in FL Studio 6...