*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'A Hero's Walk'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: NachoOfCheese

Submission Information:
Name of game arranged: The Legend of Zelda
Name of arrangement: A Hero's Walk
Name of individual songs arranged: Legend of Zelda main theme, Gerudo Valley, Temple, and one of the solos is a reference to "Goodbye Moonmen"

I arranged this song using FL Studio 12. Jazz is my favorite genre of music to arrange because improvisation is my element. 

Thank you for the consideration

I love the jazz concept of this, but right off the bat the piano is so mechanical.  Once the bass and beat drops, the shuffley beat is so simple, plain, and repetitive.  The bass is only playing straight quarter notes, and the backing piano is playing whole notes.  The simplicity of these three core elements drags this track down to a slow plod, which is a shame because there is some very cool improv going on over the top of it.  I suggest looking into getting more interesting drums, bassline and backing piano, then let's hear this again.

NO 

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/05/09 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'A Hero's Walk'

Jazzelda, that is not a bad idea. The harmonies are pretty rich, and the solo's and jams in this are reasonably sophisticated. I enjoyed this approach, and I think ultimately it's a great idea.

That being said, the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The instruments really don't come off as realistic at all. I hear a little bit of volume enveloping on the saxophone, but the piano and bass have incredibly static volumes. The articulations of all of the instruments are all static and inhuman. Obviously, if you could get live players it would be thousands of times better, but I understand that many people don't have that luxury; if you're going to use samples, you need to work hard to make sure they SOUND as close to a live performance as possible.

Another element that's missing (which is thankfully a little easier to handle) is the lack of room reverb. Right now the entire performance sounds dry, when in real life there would be some reverb caused by the room the performers are in. Utilize some reverb, make it sound like they're playing in a space - that helps a great deal, when it comes to making the performance sound 'real'.

That bass sticks out like a sore thumb. I understand it needs to repeat for a jazz performance (that's how jazz improve works), but don't mix it so close to the front. It's the least interesting element in the mix, so put it behind the sax and piano a little more. While it's a cool effect to have it play every quarter (it kind of has a 'walking' feeling), don't over rely on it - do some different motions to break it up from time to time. The beginning and end change it up a little, which helps, so don't be afraid to break up that rhythmic pattern a little in the middle, too. Even in live jazz performances changing up the rhythm won't throw off the improvisation much, as the other performers can still predict the harmonic relations their improv will have.

It's a really cool little track, but I'm afraid the execution does knock it below the OCR bar. Thanks for the submission, though, and I hope some of what I said helps for your future tracks!

NO