*NO* Mega Man 2 'Flash Man Funky Disco Remix'

Chimpazilla

Submission Information

• Mega Man 2
  • Flash Man Funky Disco Remix
  • Flash Man Stage
  • Manami Matsumae, Takashi Tateishi. Nintendo Entertainment System
  • The idea of this remix was very sudden, I really wanted to make a funky remix of a Mega Man song. It does not sound like I expected, but I still like the result :).

What an awesome concept to do this source in funky disco!  I happen to love funky disco!  Unfortunately after the idea is established, it never develops any further, and the sounds, drumgroove and instrument writing quickly become dealbreakingly repetitive.  The lead when it arrives is played very simply by a very generic sounding synth and it is too quiet in the mix.  The arrangement itself repeats copy/pasta style halfway through.  I feel that this mix needs to develop further in sounds, writing, and arrangement, but wow, great concept.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/05/17 - (1N) Mega Man 2 'Flash Man Funky Disco Remix'

There are very evident issues in this one, which Kris pointed out very succinctly, and most of the time we auto-dq tracks with evident issues like this one but I think this one deserves some feedback as I think you have a good mind for original ideas and that deserves recognition.  

First and most obvious is the repetition, which is present in many of the elements in this song.  The drums get very repetitive, and the backing grooves as well.  The progression feels static throughout as well.  I think if you threw in a wrench in the progression at some point, changing the underlying chord progression and making a section of your own that'd spice up things considerably.  Second is the sounds, which are pretty basic and generic.  The bass, when exposed, sounds very midi-ish.  The strings are pretty bland and your lead lacks humanization, it's just a simple pulse wave.  Try adding some type of modulation, tremolo, bending, sliding between notes, there are many things you can do to make your synth leads sound interesting, and like they're actually being played and not sequenced.  If you look at old classic soundtracks for the NES era, you'll notice that the best always try to make the basic NES leads sound more natural. I suggest you should look into that

Now for the good things, your adaptation to the genre is fantastic and you know very well what are the tropes and cues that make something sound like Disco, so props to that.  I think you successfully took the original and morphed it into something else while retaining the familiarity of the source, I really like that.  I think it's very important to have a good sense for how to get these transformations right to be a good remixer, and I think you have that down.

I would like you to work on getting your production game up and on making things feel more lively and less on autopilot.  Good luck in your future submissions, but for now this will be a 

NO