Sonic & Knuckles - Egg Trappin' (Death Egg Trap Remix)

JK FlipFlop

This is what I have so far:

http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/audio/1034740/preview

Constructive criticisms welcome.

Edit for evaluation:

Source (original VGM):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jl0fTTvHk

Current version of remix:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/712132

The only difference between this and planned submission is the addition of rapping. If it's submittable now, it's submittable as a full rap song.

Curious approach. The key of your intro makes me think that this is a pretty happy Death Egg. LOL

I like the synth-tones and what you have for the verse, but the beats seem pretty shallow to me. I'm not very experienced with a trap beat, so this may be sound design, but the clap in the intro bugs me.

I'm interested to see where you take this.

1 hour ago, The Nikanoru said:

Curious approach. The key of your intro makes me think that this is a pretty happy Death Egg. LOL

I like the synth-tones and what you have for the verse, but the beats seem pretty shallow to me. I'm not very experienced with a trap beat, so this may be sound design, but the clap in the intro bugs me.

I'm interested to see where you take this.

Aww, I knew I would screw up on something. Now that you mentioned that, I realize that I put the beep boops in the beginning in the key of F when everything else is G minor. Technically not out of key, but still, I did it wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

And you're right. Those claps are off a little bit. I intend to change drum samples when I'm done with the arrangement. 

Thank you very much for your input. It helped a lot. I appreciate it. Are you working on anything you on which you would like feedback?

On 11/4/2016 at 4:08 PM, The Nikanoru said:

Glad I could help out. I don't have anything worth posting at the moment, but keep an eye on this forum. I'll post something up there eventually. :)

I made a little more progress:

https://m.soundcloud.com/jk_flipflop/sonic-and-knuckles-death-egg

I plan changes to the percussion. As is, it's a bit flat.

7 hours ago, Smooth4lyfe1987 said:

I listen to trap music, and I like where your going with this BUT

I would revamp the intro to make it more "in your face"....add a bass to the intro maybe. I would also change the synths to sound less "midi-ish"

I love your arrangement of this track, I'd just use more "powerful" instruments and emphasize more on bass

Thank you for the feedback! Definitely going to pump the bass a bit harder, as the guy who suggested this remix said the same thing...

But, could you please clarify "midi-ish" for me? Is it one or more of the instruments, or just too much reverb? Or both?

8 hours ago, JK FlipFlop said:

Thank you for the feedback! Definitely going to pump the bass a bit harder, as the guy who suggested this remix said the same thing...

But, could you please clarify "midi-ish" for me? Is it one or more of the instruments, or just too much reverb? Or both?

Most of the time, the term "midi-ish" refers to the quality of the sample used.

8 hours ago, JK FlipFlop said:

But, could you please clarify "midi-ish" for me?

This might also refer to the fact that the synths sound 'mechanical' or too heavily sequenced. @Smooth4lyfe1987, please set the record straight if we're leading JK astray. :)

I'd like to say that I like this much better than what I heard before. I agree with S4L that it feels understated in the beginning (I'd add the bass AND do some fill-work with a synth). I would argue that the whole piece is missing something ... decidedly midrange. Something like that fill that starts at 1:29; great bit, but there are very few places in the piece with that texture. This piece runs the risk of being too repetitive, IMO (that might be my lack of trap-beat experience talking again), but I think some extra fill work here and there would help take the edge of the repetition. 

Do you plan on rapping or adding some sort of vocals over top of this?

@The Nikanoru yes, I do plan rapping for this track. Unfortunately, I'm no lyricist, so I'm hoping for some help as far as that goes.

@noTuX I don't think so. The only samples I used were the percussion, 808 bass and those riser fx leading out of the intro. Everything else was VST instruments.

@Smooth4lyfe1987 I dunno why the intro should be "in your face." I like it when a song builds up a little bit from the beginning. Well, except when listening to death metal. That's when I'm looking for an auditory assault :v

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm hoping to get this official on OC ReMix ;)

On 11/7/2016 at 6:26 AM, JK FlipFlop said:

Midi as in the sounds u used which make it sound like a Sega genesis soundtrack. I would try and find more better synths to use. The idea is right and the arrangements is good, but the sounds could be better. I'm sure you can find a really good EDM or Trap soundpack which comes with good synths.

On 11/8/2016 at 4:06 PM, Smooth4lyfe1987 said:

Midi as in the sounds u used which make it sound like a Sega genesis soundtrack. I would try and find more better synths to use. The idea is right and the arrangements is good, but the sounds could be better. I'm sure you can find a really good EDM or Trap soundpack which comes with good synths.

Ah, that makes sense . I mainly used VOPM and some trance VSTs that come with Mixcraft . If you have any recommendations on VSTs I'd be glad to hear them.

And you mentioned the SEGA Genesis . Funny thing is that I do make SEGA Genesis music as well:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/700471

3 hours ago, JK FlipFlop said:

Ah, that makes sense . I mainly used VOPM and some trance VSTs that come with Mixcraft . If you have any recommendations on VSTs I'd be glad to hear them.

And you mentioned the SEGA Genesis . Funny thing is that I do make SEGA Genesis music as well:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/700471

This is pretty good I like it!

6 hours ago, Rozovian said:

Bumping to remind myself, Gario, and any other evaluators to eval this.

So in other words, you and I, lol. Apologies, I didn't see the eval tag when I first saw this. Also, I'll add that I look forward to the rap that will overlay it (and, in fact, the track DOES seem well designed for it), but it's tough to give you any guarantees on whether it'll be accepted until I hear it with vocals on it - if something were off with the vocals (mixed poorly, clashes against notes, etc.) it would be missed until it hit the panel.

I'm having a difficult time downloading it - that's something that I like to be able to do with tracks with more complex or unfamiliar EQ spaces (like, say, Trap and it's bass - I can't hear it effectively on my current setup). I love NG to death (have my own artist profile there, in fact, lurk the Politics section quite a lot after PPR died down here), but sometimes their audio portal makes things tricky. An outside link to an Mp3 would be appreciated, such as a box.net or dropbox link.

All that being said, here's a mini 'eval' - I can't really make any promises without looking at the waveform, hearing how the lyrics work with it, etc., so I'll need the external link and the version where you rap over it before I can give a proper evaluation.

A basic look over it, though, looks like you have a pretty decent backing to your vocals, though. There are some elements that stick out as being repeated for too long (such as the repeating quarter note sine in the background that never lets up the entire song), and it's difficult to see if the soundscape is filled properly (again, difficult to hear this very bass heavy style on my setup without looking at a waveform). I imagine that there will be a lot of variety added to the track with some vocals above the track, which would greatly alleviate some of the static nature of the track currently.

I like a lot of the elements that come in and out - there's quite a bit of subtle motion that occurs throughout that keep it pretty interesting even without the vocals. I think you really need to drop your rapping skills on this before I can have a solid idea of how it all ties together, but I see this potentially being an awesome trap/hip hop track. Keep me updated on it!

@Gario

Thank you for the input!

If you never were able to download this track, I've uploaded it on my Google Drive for download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GgUre9SEM3OEZmcTVjX2p0Z2s/view?usp=drivesdk

Sorry I took so long, I'm working on a heavy metal song with another Newgrounder ;)

I wanted to clarify something as well:

I'm no lyricist, and therefore I'm not rapping on this. Someone else here offered to do it. I can only hope he's dope enough and can give me a clean recording. However, incorporating said vocals shouldn't be a problem for me.

On 12/11/2016 at 6:40 AM, JK FlipFlop said:

I'm no lyricist, and therefore I'm not rapping on this. Someone else here offered to do it. I can only hope he's dope enough and can give me a clean recording. However, incorporating said vocals shouldn't be a problem for me.

I can definitely guarantee that it won't be terrible. 

Probably. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 8:07 PM, Cole Train said:

I can definitely guarantee that it won't be terrible. 

Probably. 

I came up with a (rather violent) verse of my own. Dunno if I should save it for Ice Trap Zone or use it here.  Here's some of it.

"I like comedy
But fuck nonsense
I'm a psychopath
Don't have a conscience
I'll always remember
What this one guy said
That he would kill me
But you know what I did
I popped his eyes
Right out the socket
Yelled out fore
Slapshot like hockey