Starting an Indie PC Game Club for teens

duskvstweak

I'm Head of Youth Services at the library I work at and I'm looking to start a Indie PC Game Club for teens. Indie, by the way, because they're cheaper! I'll be using GOG mainly, no Steam or client-based gaming. I was looking for any advice for games. The more replay-ability something has, the better. Stuff that's super story heavy won't really work, they'll only have about two hours a week to play. But if you think there's something that would work, I'd love to hear about it. The games I was looking into were the following;

Zombie Night Terror
FTL: Faster Than Light
Stardew Valley
Shovel Knight
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Torchlight II
Botanicula
Don't Starve
Terraria
Towerfall: Ascension
Braid

and Roller Coaster Tycoon because I'm stuck in my ways!

I'm going to recommend taking FTL off that list.

Whoooooa, there, everyone. I'm saying this as someone that has about 900 hours in the game.

FTL is not something you can just play for two hours, mainly because of its inherent difficulty. Easy mode, with the best ship you can use at the start, with good luck, isn't going to give you a good time. It's not Dark Souls hard, but it is still difficult.

Some people play it for five hours and give it up because they can't quite figure out the "plan" (how to keep ahead of thef fleet, when and where to pick a fight, hat kind of items to keep and sell, etc.), or they had bad runs with enemy ships rocking multiple missile launchers (which you will not be able to defend against without some serious Drone support, which you can't get that early without shitloads of luck and maybe a few Scrap Recovery Arms), or even just didn't get the interface. Yeah, purely anecdotal, but still...

It can be super frustrating for new players and might end up being hated simply because it's not a two-hour, quick play kind of game.

Again, I love the game and play it a lot, but I don't think 2 hours a week is a fair playthrough, and it's doing a big disservice.

You can get several run attempts in within two hours, and a run to completion will not take two hours. It's a fine game for the format.

I'd also take a look at some of the classics on GOG; they're also remarkably cheap. MOO2 is $3.50 (lol 2 hours though). UT2k4 is $2.50. You might want to make sure you have a couple games with multiplayer.

If you like Roller Coaster Tycoon, you might also be interested in OpenTTD.

I would say FTL is good, because you don't really have to win it or even play well to enjoy a game like that. Which is contradictory to what The Damned is saying. Which (contradiction) might make it interesting for a club format. If you're going to play in the same space people can also help each other out. :) Here's a list:

• Papers, Please
  • No Pineapple Left Behind
  • King of Dragon Pass
  • Gateways
  • Risk of Rain
  • Spelunky
  • VVVVVV
  • Luftraursers