Adding Video Games to Public Library - Suggestions?

duskvstweak

So, I work at a library and we're going to create a video game collection that patrons can check out. Being primarily a pc gamer, I'm not as knowledgeable on console games as I used to be.

Basically, any suggestions? Probably keep it PS4/XBox One but the previous generations aren't out completely. We'll probably wait until the Nintendo Switch to get Nintendo Games, but 3DS is good. Since they'll be checked out and returned, it can't be something that multiple people can't use. I'm not sure what the online console world is like anymore. Would Battlefront or Titanfall work for this?

Also, keep in mind, that we'll be sticking with E-T ratings and kids and teens will be the ones that see the collection the most.

Thanks!

My library did this and I helped with procuring some of the games! From seeing it unfold over about 2 years, make sure people know that the library has games...I know right, but so many titles just sit on the shelf and never go out simply because people don't know they're there assuming a library just wouldn't have video games. XboxOne games don't really move that much, the 3DS titles are usually what I see out most, Ps4 tends to hang around, less than XboxOne, but still its amazing that people pay to rent games at a Redbox. Also check the policy of your library some make it so you have to get from a special catalog, which can limit your options. We also did a Retro-Duo rent out with vintage SNES and NES titles and it actually worked. My suggestion would be to get the 2-3 NES-HD ( if you can find one) and rent that out, people really like the idea of plug and play, lot of adults casually see the retro-games and say " Hey I remember that/those game! And I can check it out for 1-2 weeks?! Sure add it to the basket!" I would say if you wants circulation points ( how our library determines whether to continue buying new games) you could play it safe and so with multi-copies of popular games, boring and you can end up with 5 copies of COD BO2 in 2017 that nobody really checks out anymore, or get the more unique titles and try and pry open a few minds to a less traveled genre or game.

You probably don't want games that require an online account, like Battlefront or Titanfall.  The Nintendo Switch should work out well for you, but until then, I agree that 3DS and retro games+consoles would probably be the most popular.  Something like the SupaBoy might be good, since you don't even have to hook it up to a TV.

Personally, I'd build a library (PUN!) of games that don't require downloads, accounts or installs on the given systems. Make the section as accessible as possible by making it basically plug and play. Pop in a disc or cartridge, turn on the system and get right to the game. So basically, I would make it comprised of console systems no newer than the PS2, the original XBox and the Gamecube, since the systems after them began relying heavily on patches and such. Handheld systems both old and new would do well too, since they still haven't gone all download/install/patch nuts yet.