Snowboard Kids - Big Snowman

SonicThHedgog

Mmm, I think it had all the flavors of a Seiken Densetsu 3 OST track, both in a good and not-as-good way. The atmosphere and instrumentation just screams that soundtrack, as does the overall style. Unfortunately, the sample quality is almost a cleaner, upgraded version of that OST's samples, it sounds like.

It's not bad, though, and I enjoyed it nonetheless. I do feel more humanization of some of your instrumentation would help quite a bit, but for what's here it sounds pretty neat. Nice work. :)

32 minutes ago, Gario said:

Mmm, I think it had all the flavors of a Seiken Densetsu 3 OST track, both in a good and not-as-good way. The atmosphere and instrumentation just screams that soundtrack, as does the overall style. Unfortunately, the sample quality is almost a cleaner, upgraded version of that OST's samples, it sounds like.

It's not bad, though, and I enjoyed it nonetheless. I do feel more humanization of some of your instrumentation would help quite a bit, but for what's here it sounds pretty neat. Nice work. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

I dont know what Seiken Densetsu 3 is O.o

Also, which instruments do you want to be more humanized (besides the strings and guitar).

Seiken Densetsu 3 is the best SNES game for the console that never came out to the states - it's a direct sequel to Secret of Mana (which was Seiken Densetsu 2, in Japan), and it far surpasses its predecessor.  An album for the soundtrack is about finished, too, so you can hear the whole soundtrack arranged in the near future (hopefully!). Go look it up, the music is quite good.

I also must add that I don't condone finding a translated patched ROM of that particular game and emulate it to experience it for yourself. Don't do it!

*ahem*

Anyway, if I had to single out instruments, the piano in the beginning is very dry and isn't mixed well in comparison to the rest (it sounds like it's being played in another room), the flutes at 1:04 come off as wooden and stiff (no pun intended, ha), brass stabs at 1:13 don't seem to blend with the rest of the track (mixed too close to the front at that point, or something)... I think it's the trombone that's sticking out, but it's hard to tell off the cuff, and they are dynamically stiff at that point, the guitar is pretty fake, as you mentioned.

Overall, there's also an inconsistency to how wet or dry the samples are, which makes them sound like they're playing in different rooms rather than performing together. My initial comment doesn't make this clear enough, so apologies for the slight confusion. I do hear a lot of attention to the humanization details that are in there upon a second listening, though - the dry samples mixed with a few wetter ones (like the longer strings, for example) throws me off.

Hope that makes it a little bit clearer.

17 hours ago, Gario said:

Seiken Densetsu 3 is the best SNES game for the console that never came out to the states - it's a direct sequel to Secret of Mana (which was Seiken Densetsu 2, in Japan), and it far surpasses its predecessor.  An album for the soundtrack is about finished, too, so you can hear the whole soundtrack arranged in the near future (hopefully!). Go look it up, the music is quite good.

I also must add that I don't condone finding a translated patched ROM of that particular game and emulate it to experience it for yourself. Don't do it!

*ahem*

Anyway, if I had to single out instruments, the piano in the beginning is very dry and isn't mixed well in comparison to the rest (it sounds like it's being played in another room), the flutes at 1:04 come off as wooden and stiff (no pun intended, ha), brass stabs at 1:13 don't seem to blend with the rest of the track (mixed too close to the front at that point, or something)... I think it's the trombone that's sticking out, but it's hard to tell off the cuff, and they are dynamically stiff at that point, the guitar is pretty fake, as you mentioned.

Overall, there's also an inconsistency to how wet or dry the samples are, which makes them sound like they're playing in different rooms rather than performing together. My initial comment doesn't make this clear enough, so apologies for the slight confusion. I do hear a lot of attention to the humanization details that are in there upon a second listening, though - the dry samples mixed with a few wetter ones (like the longer strings, for example) throws me off.

Hope that makes it a little bit clearer.

Lol even better than super mario world? hehe!

Gotcha!

Odd you mentioned the piano in the beginning, its drowned in the same room more than everything else... but I think I know how I can fix that.

The brass stabs and flute(for that one flute part) are meant to be that stiff aggressive sound. You want me to blend them in more?

Im not sure if I put much effort to make the sounds human hehe, I just kept to the composition dynamics bi-polar/moody feels hehe. I wanted this to be EDM, but got bored of EDM (I blame pop radio mainly)

Will work on the piano and its verb, I think I know what happened. And I will also fix the over all verb, I (think) know what happened to that too.

Thank you!