Stardust Speedway (Bad Future)(WIP)

DJ H0us3C0rP3

Sonic CD (U.S) is one of my all time favourite soundtracks, Stardust Bad Future being the best of the bunch for me. I like what you have going here but it's not sounding particularly full and pleasant. There is a severe lack of high end right now. Where it kicks in at 1:15 could really do with some sharp hats to add more energy throughout that section. It goes without saying that it needs to evolve more, but it's a WiP so that's understandable. As for the voice, lose it. It's distracting and not rhythmic at all.

I've never really listened to house music, but i've immersed myself in plenty of electronica over the last few years to sorta kinda know what i'm talking about, i think (probablynotprobably) :P Do this soundtrack proud, bro!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

eval

Right off the bat, I don't like the bass drum when it's exposed. It fits better in once the track gets going, so not a big problem there. But why does the track keep going back to parts where it _is_ exposed?  It makes for a weird arrangement and breaks flow when that happens out of nowhere. You could mitigate this by making the bass drum softer, by reducing level or filtering it or using a partly different bass drum for those parts. Many solutions.

Source is undoubtedly there, and there's definitely a lot of interpretation going on in the sound. As for arrangement, it feels like a bunch of disparate parts stacked on top of each other with little thoiught to continuity and progression. Take the 2:31 part. It just starts. New chords, new set of sounds, new rhythm... It just happens out of nowhere. That's a recurring problem with the arrangement. As a lot of the track seems to be source parts placed on top of the beat, you can probably move those parts around to make a more intentional-seeming structure, something with better flow, better transitions, better overall structure.

The sound is loud and aggressive, and overcompressed. There are instances where the lead feels too loud or otherwise poorly integrated into the mix, like at 2:31 or 2:59. The overall sound design works though, despite my misgivings about the bass drum. I'm not a fan of the voice clips, but that's a very subjective criticism. I don't think they do anything important for the track, and are mostly there because one of the sources had it. But I might be wrong on that.

At the very start, there's also a weird fade effect, as if the first bass drum note was faded in. That's a really annoying problem once you notice it.

Not ready for ocr. Overcompressed, messy arrangement. I think all the right parts are there, though, you just gotta put them together in a way that makes more sense.