OCR00271 - Final Fantasy VI "Shadow's Theme"

m68030

• 2 weeks later...

Notes from author: One February day in 2001 I got redirected to a site called Overclocked Remix through a mesage board that I was frequenting at the time. I though the concept was pretty cool, and could be an excellent way to get my music a little bit of attention. So that day I learned how to play the Shadow's Theme on the guitar, and the next day I fired up Cakewalk Pro Audio 7 and spent the whole day recording this track. The day after that I submitted the song. amd the day after thet it got posted. Probably one of the quickest periods of "I want to do this song" to the song actualy getting posted on this site on record.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shadow's theme was always one of my favorite Final Fantasy tracks (it's also fun to play on the guitar/piano), and it's nice to see someone make a remix of it. The instruments used are decent, the pace of the song is about right, and the overall sound is okay. There were a few problems though, like some of the instruments sounded a little too distorted for a song like this. Overall, I'd have to give this song a 6 out of 10. Not bad, but coulda been better.

Oh, and don't hate on ecco cause he didn't like it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. See my review for "Forever Rachel." That song was completely butchered. >_<

You know... this may sound like a wierd thing to say... but this is the perfect music for someone to do drugs to. ::shrug:: It just has a very lonely, self-destrucitve tone to it all that illicits a cold-hearted smile in those who can appreciate it. the only thing I can find wrong with this tune is the drums. A higher sample quality or live feed would have been very good.

9/10

• 2 months later...

You know, i really really like this mix. its a shame its not more popular, because its very moody and interesting.

It isnt incredibly mixed or arranged or anything, but its very...Primal. really great stuff, i reccomend it for everybody.

My only complaint is that your guitar is out of tune. its more noticable in some places than others.

You know, i really really like this mix. its a shame its not more popular, because its very moody and interesting.

It isnt incredibly mixed or arranged or anything, but its very...Primal. really great stuff, i reccomend it for everybody.

My only complaint is that your guitar is out of tune. its more noticable in some places than others.

• 10 months later...

Wow. This is incredible. The original theme of Shadow was pretty good, but just doesn't compare.

I've never heard anything like it, it's the most atmospheric song I've ever heard. The "Imperfect" blaring sound of the guitar's distortion is amazing. Everything is very bassy and kind of watered down, it works brilliantly.

This is my favourite mix on OCRemix as of now, even moreso than Terra In Black.

Please, make more mixes like this!

• 2 months later...

I like the mix - I like the out of tune guitar, I think it fits the style of the song (even if it wasn't on purpose, it works out in this case).

And yes, Pulp Fiction is the best movie ever made - and that will ever be made.

You managed to capture the very essence of Shadow's character. The dark and brooding tone with a whistful undertone at the beginning shows Shadow's near-dead emotion, and the hard, garbled guitar at about 1:45 represents Shadow's constant confusion and mental anguish. That's how it came across to me, at least.

Awesome, awesome job.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I actually really enjoyed this mix. I enjoy it when not

everything is made into 4/4 time(then again, this is

a remix site, so I shouldn't expect anything too crazy).

Anywho, maybe it's just me, but because this mix wasn't

done 16 bit/midi style, it felt like it had a lot more

depth. It actually felt more like Shadow's theme.

It repeats a little too much though. But, that's fine,

cause it rocks.

• 6 months later...

"The dog eats strangers."

A mysterious remix for a mysterious man. I think it would have been better if the song had stayed the way it was before the guitar joined in, but it was still an excellent piece. To bad interceptor didn't have a theme. That dog was awesome.

This remix would slit its creators throat for a nickel.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great bass writing; it has the mood in its hands, and it shapes it well.

Distortion is good here except, perhaps, where it detunes some notes (chiefly the last in the main sequence--it sticks out like a sore thumb). Now, considering that it's Shadow, he has a lot more broken about him than his thumbs, so it bolsters the mood of the song. It just doesn't sound appealing--hopefully you were working toward this.

Anyway, great interpretation as has been mentioned. Brooding.

• 5 months later...

The electric guitar kicking in ruined it for me.

I would absolutely love to hear an arranged version of Shadow's theme so I was buzzing when I came across this, and was getting ready to save this file up until about a minute in when the distorted, electric guitar kicked in.

I understand that the point of this site is not to copy, and the more remixs I've listened to, the more open my mind has become, but the distorted guitar sounded out of tune and out of place. I say distorted, but I really think the guitar could've used a lot of echo and been played a lot less staccato. The staccato notes sound almost like you're using only one string on the guitar and almost kills the long, brooding mood.

I don't want to be too harsh because the first minute or so is stellar stuff and the effort is there. Plus, I like the idea of using guitars for Shadow's theme, but this missed the mark for me.

• 1 year later...

Why can't a distorted guitar be a part of the arrangement? I think i works. The guitar sounds "off" somehow, but it works with it. There's actually some really clever, subtle pitch bending going on there(I don't think the guy's guitar was actually slightly out of tone).

I'd love to know what gear he was using to get that tone...

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00271 - Final Fantasy VI "Shadow's Theme"