Should Super Audio Cart Also Include PlayStation 1 and N64?

TheChargingRhino

Umm, PS1 and N64 didn't really have generated/generic chip sounds/samples like the 8-bit/16-bit stuff did (that's the simple way of saying it, a more accurate and detailed assessment I'm not learned on). PS1 had everything from the Roland Sound Canvas to the sort of real studio music you can get in games today, and N64 also used a lot of Roland Sound Canvas-grade romplers for generating samples.

I'd say if you're looking to get the "1998" sound or something, get you the Roland virtual Sound Canvas software (or the real thing, they're easily available) and the Korg Legacy M1 software since a lot of games even by the 32bit era were still using the M1. That will be more than a good starting place by then.

Recordings are copyrighted. We can not sample any sound chip that is sample based and have Super Audio Cart remain legally clean and free to use without royalty payments. All SAC sounds are created from sampling synthesis hardware (generated waveforms), not sampling any sound chips that store samples. For example, the SNES sounds are 100% original sourced recordings that simply are converted to a format suitable for use on the SNES, and then sampled in that form, they are not recording the sounds of actual game soundtracks.

I think an N64 or PS1 *style* expansion (maybe SAC 2?) would be cool, much like how we approached SNES. Licensing is also more of a possibility given that the publishers involved in that era are more likely to be around. I get what you're talking about - sounds that are real-ish but still fake... kind of. It's charming!

But in terms of immediate plans, retro PC systems are next in line :)

16 hours ago, zircon said:

I think an N64 or PS1 *style* expansion (maybe SAC 2?) would be cool, much like how we approached SNES. Licensing is also more of a possibility given that the publishers involved in that era are more likely to be around. I get what you're talking about - sounds that are real-ish but still fake... kind of. It's charming!

But in terms of immediate plans, retro PC systems are next in line :)

YYYYEEEAAASSSSS

On 20/12/2016 at 1:07 PM, Meteo Xavier said:

Umm, PS1 and N64 didn't really have generated/generic chip sounds/samples like the 8-bit/16-bit stuff did (that's the simple way of saying it, a more accurate and detailed assessment I'm not learned on). PS1 had everything from the Roland Sound Canvas to the sort of real studio music you can get in games today, and N64 also used a lot of Roland Sound Canvas-grade romplers for generating samples.

I'd say if you're looking to get the "1998" sound or something, get you the Roland virtual Sound Canvas software (or the real thing, they're easily available) and the Korg Legacy M1 software since a lot of games even by the 32bit era were still using the M1. That will be more than a good starting place by then.

Word. 

What most people seem to mean by "PS1 sound", or so I've noticed, is almost always a Roland Sound Canvas. Thought of buying one myself for nostalgia's sake.