*NO* DuckTales 'Orchestral Reprise'

djpretzel

Some interesting & good ideas on progression at certain points. Needs to be compared to inspiring arrangement as well as original. - djp

---

• Your ReMixer name: Eternal Love
  • Your real name: Konstantin Karpitsky
  • Your email address: 
  • Your website: https://www.feelmorelove.com/
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 33648

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: DuckTales
  • Name of arrangement: Orchestral Reprise
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Moon Theme
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: This is my first game music cover. I was inspired by this remix: https://youtu.be/EwbMkIROOGU and decided to make a short variation adding my own ideas. It was made in Ableton using orchestral Kontakt libraries.

Ducktales moon theme! I'd say it's always a breath of fresh air, but their's no air on the moon and you'd probably die if you took a deep breath and... stuff. Er, anyway - solid idea, and I like the arrangement choices that are made here. The themes are present, but many of the notes that fill in between are removed - it's a subtractive approach to arranging rather than additive, and I think it works here. However, it's possible that others may not see it that way; subtractive arranging is tricky to pull off while keeping the themes readily recognizable, and this is about on the edge of that.

The execution of the orchestral instruments are not as solid as they should be, however, great arrangement or not. The strings in the beginning utilize a swelling attack without any sort of break, which removes any phrasing that would normally occur in such sweeping lines like that. The brass has similar issues past 0:30, when they carry the theme. Live players won't swell every note like that - it causes too much separation within the phrases. I like the piano, though; it's pretty well handled.

The overall room is pretty dry, too - adding reverb to your instruments could add another element of depth to the track to make it sound more convincing.

I like the arrangement, but the execution could use some work. Well see what the others think of the arrangement, but I believe a rejection is justified due to the mechanical sequencing and dry space regardless.

NO

I gotta agree with Gario here, production-wise this is not quite there yet, much work is needed on the humanization of pretty much everything but the piano and drums.  There's really not much to say on this front as Gario covered everything pretty well, so I will refer to his vote.

Arrangement-wise, I think you have really good ideas here.  Almost everything done with the piano felt creative and soulful.  1:25 and on brings some interesting sections that handled the source very well.  I wasn't sold on the main section of the arrangement, as it felt pretty vanilla and I think you can do more with it.

With production up to par, I think this could've been a pass as there are some cool arrangement ideas here, but sadly that's not the case.  Work on humanization and making your orchestra feel lively.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/05/25 - (2N) DuckTales 'Orchestral Reprise'

Props for being inspired by Plasma3Music's take on the theme, but making yours different enough that it didn't seem like a mere copy of his approach.

Those strings were pretty dry, leaving the fake-sounding articulations pretty exposed in the 25-second intro, then again from 1:40-2:06, which hurt the close. The crux of the arrangement was original brass writing on top of the main backing pattern of the source tune (:34-1:21), which was a valid approach with the source tune ever-present. The placement of the piano cameo at 1:26 was odd and sounded muddy. Dunno why the last note of the music box at 2:05 was sour/flat, but that was a bad look, so watch those smaller details. :-) The ~7 seconds of pregnant silence should have been trimmed off, just noting.

Gario had good feedback on humanizing your brass, so definitely take his advice into account and tweak the presentation. IMO, the orchestration sounded somewhat stiff, but was generally serviceable relative to our bar, but you'll need to smooth out stiff-sounding parts like the strings as well. With those touches, the production will sound as strong as the arrangement. Good stuff so far, and IMO this wasn't far off the mark at all. With some improvements to the detail work of the production, this already-creative arrangement would sound more realistically executed. Definitely touch this up and send it back, Konstantin, I'd love to hear this posted in some form, and you've got a great base here.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* DuckTales 'Orchestral Reprise'
  • Liontamer locked this topic