OCR03469 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Afternoon in the Sacred Forest Meadow"

Liontamer

I rarely post reviews -- something that I should definitely do more often -- but holy smokes, this is the best channeling of Debussy I have heard in a very long time, without limiting that qualification to fan-made material.  I also love that it tackles what is a very short source, demonstrating that there is a mountain of potential for almost anything given enough talent....

...and "enough" doesn't even begin to describe what's going on here.  The ending is particularly well-executed, giving us the source melody clearly in a way that doesn't feel contrived in the slightest.  I'm going to be gushing about this for some time to come.

I'd also like to acknowledge the role of critical feedback in the writing of this arrangement.  I think it was Theophany that encouraged me to do a substantive rewrite of an earlier version (into which I had already poured several hours of work).  But the previous version was confused, with too many ideas vying for the listener's attention.  In restarting from scratch after playing around with the themes a bit, I had a much clearer vision for the arrangement, and what emerged was by far a superior product.

In other words, don't succumb to the sunk-cost fallacy -- sometimes it's best to start over from a clean slate.

• 4 months later...

I enjoy classical pieces and I don't comment as much as I should. I've also been gone for quite awhile but I always come back here to find some interestingly done reworks and pieces. I like how this piece opens up in the beginning. Slow and smooth and transitioning into the other instruments. I'd have to say this is probably one of my most favorite Zelda pieces I have heard on this page so far. Congratulations on a superbly amazing job. I hope to hear more amazing pieces like this. Not to say the other music on here isn't all great. I love all the work everyone does here.