Crowdfunded Projects (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)

DarkeSword

• 9 months later...

What do you think of this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore?ref=live

My opinion:

Although, the grammar is quite bad, the art not great, and nobody in the old days ever thought, "This game is Dark Souls, Diablo 2 and Minecraft all in one," I'm kind of interested. He has drawn me in with his 3D screenshots and it SOUNDS as though he has no plans of giving up and that is the most important thing. What is your opinion of this kickstarter?

"these are early concepts arts of my monster called the manandtaur"

Oh God I'm dying.

Edit: "for example to slow him down you would be able to focus on a monsters leg to decapitate it"

"My point is no one can understand vision if it was the 1930's are 1492 would kickstarter be a place to support like Hedy Lamarr and Christopher Columbus"

Edit 2: Hey guys "its going to play like Darksouls for the most part but with our on twisted"

Edited by Dhsu

Some people actually gave money to this shit.

**sus, we're in a global financial crisis, too many of my generation are still out of work and vastly underpaid, and gamers are still giving $50-$250 a pop for things that aren't even finished yet and may just as easily get burnt out.

I've been quite an annoying critic of Kickstarter for a little while now, but I do have genuine concerns of what precedents things like this are setting before us.

This looks very bad and overly ambitious. If he was serious about this he would have collaborated with a programmer (or cook something up in an established engine or something) to create a proof of concept. He has one shitty piece of concept art that is quite frankly very dull and unexciting and a mock up render of some town square.

Kickstarter can be a very good thing but I think it's being used a little too much lately.

Uhhhhh... wow. I wouldn't give that guy a single penny.

edit: ok, so this page is clearly a joke, and a really, really good one at that.

I don't get the concern over Kickstarter. Let the free market sort things out.

Also, this, basically. Kickstarter is a brilliant idea. Put venture capitalism in the hands of the consumers (granted, without tangible gains on equity barring the realization of the funded project). What could possibly be more empowering than that?

Edited by ectogemia

Here's one that's just a couple of thousand short and a few hours to go - one I'd really like to see get made. Hero-U from the designers of Quest for Glory.. I played and enjoyed QfG1 (the VGA version), and this sounds like a game with great potential. Please support it (and quick) if you're a QfG fan!

edit: yessss, successfully backed!

--Eino

Edited by evktalo

Some people feel quite strongly about whether or not Kickstarter is good or bad. Despite the possibility of battle, I'd like to state my philosophy about making good kickstarters (even though I've never made one :)) I think the amount of money being requested should be directly proportional to EITHER how close you are to finishing the project OR to how much value there is to your name.

I mean that when Double Fine asks for a million dollars to make some adventure game, it's a pretty safe bet for backers because they are established as being an entire team of people whom are capable of creating games to completion. Alternatively, when the guy in the Tiny Titans post asks for just several thousand, I still feel like it's a safe bet because despite having no idea who he is, he doesn't ask for as much and there is already plenty of art and gameplay footage available. On the other hand, the Lore guy and the Heresy guy have me worried because I've never heard of them, they have no gameplay footage or screenshots, and they ask for a very large sum of money. The risk is just too high for someone to fund them in my opinion.

Edited by The Legendary Zoltan

30 Games for $15, they need more money so I can get my games, join up!

LA Game Space is a nonprofit center for videogame art, design, and research. It is a place for game innovation, education, and exhibition; where all of us can play and make and study and showcase games.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lagamespace/la-game-space-a-place-for-re-imagining-video-games

Kickstarters are like strippers. The good ones get funded because they have enough to show and know how to a) work their audience and B) the customers know they've got a good worker on their hands, either because they've seen their work before, or it's something they've never seen that intrigues them. On the other hand, bad strippers don't get funded because a) they don't give you anything interesting to think about with poor presentation and assets, and B) they keep asking for money so they'll do the work they're already supposed to be doing.

That's what I think. It actually really pisses me off when I see people post kickstarters that essentially say "I have this really cool idea! I haven't really made a game yet, or know how to make one, or have people that will help me do it. But if you give me money I'll think of something!" It's disrespectful to the people you're attempting to reach, and to the industry in general. If you have a really good idea that you think is worth people's time, and you don't have a name that people have heard of/trust, do something about it. Start making it. Don't wait for someone to throw money at you for something you haven't done. When you get recognition for a fresh new idea with the execution to match, people will be happy to support you.

They keep asking for money so they'll do the work they're already supposed to be doing.

This phrase really resonates with me. I agree that there really does need to be a substantial amount of work already accomplished by new developers to show us that they DO indeed possess some kind of work ethic. If it's a big company, I can kind of see why they wouldn't start working on it because it would probably be a big project and they'd lose a lost of money and time if it ends up being unfunded. But to do that, they'd need a good track record or completing games.

I'll be sure to keep all of these things in mind if I ever make a kickstarter for a game I want to make. (Because I might ^_-)

• DarkeSword changed the title to Crowdfunded Projects (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)