Gario

Lufia: Of Gods and Men

57 posts in this topic

Lufia 2 Cover Final copy.jpg

(Art by Zeth)

The time has come: The definitive OCR Lufia project is officially online again! The Lufia series has one of THE great soundtracks of the SNES era, and Bahamut wanted to honor it with an album project. This was at a time where MANY albums were being developed on OCR, and this one quietly trudged along. After some time I agree'd to help co-direct the project, but even with my help this project fell into a deep slumber of relative inactivity. Bahamut's life became too complicated to continue this in earnest, and I've had school and relative job insecurity that held me back.

While Bahamut still has other obligations in life that don't allow him to dedicate the time to finish something like this, my time has cleared up, which has allowed me to take this project 100% head on again. I will be the sole director of this album from this point on, with Bahamut's blessings. All of my thanks goes to him for starting and establishing this project, getting it to where it is today.

I will establish how the project will run moving forward, as there will be a few changes. The first change: any music from Lufia II and its DS remake will be accepted for this project. It's a compromise between the original vision (Lufia I & II's soundtrack) and the later vision (ONLY having Lufia II music); there are quite a few good Lufia I tracks that were rearranged for the DS remake, so some of those Lufia I tracks have become available again.

The second change: Any track that is not currently finished or at a nearly finished state is officially not a part of the project anymore, absolutely no questions or exceptions. The last time I established this decree there were a few people that didn't appreciate it, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Nearly everyone who has been a part of this project has had four to six years to produce a finished track; if you haven't finished by now (with reminders here and there) you are likely not going to finish. We need to clean house and let fresh blood on board, at this point. If you've been removed and you'd like to reclaim your place on this album, submit your track with significant progress on it and I will let you back on. Otherwise, your claim is officially void.

To everyone who has finished their track, though: Thank you. You've made this project something worth finishing, and I plan on finishing it in a decent time frame.

The third change: There will be two phases to this project that will operate codependent of one another. The first will simply be waiting for people to take their claims and following through with the (aggressive) timetable to finish their tracks, and the other will be a series of competitions that take the important music that either hasn't been claimed, or hasn't made the proper submission date (the FFVI album did something similar years back). Details for the competitions will come in the future, but I will make it worthwhile to participate. The intention will be to fill out the album with as many Lufia tracks as possible.

This is a list of the music that already has a prior claim: if you are not on this list then you don't have a claim to this music. This list is subject to change (especially over the next few days), so keep an eye on it!

Opening Theme (Evory)
The Prophet (Daragan)
Cardia Shrine (Artem Bank)
Door of the Journey (Rockos)
Battle #1 (DaMonz)
Battle #2 (hakstok)
The Silent World (DjjD)

Parcelyte Presidential Administration / Port City (Flexstyle)
Mountain of No Return\Labrynth (bLiNd)
Battle #3 (Prince uf Darkness & Snappleman)
Tanbel Abandoned Mine (Rockos)

The Earth (World Map) (Moseph)
Priphea Flowers (Audio Fidelity)
To the Future (XPRTNovice)
The Last Decisive Battle (Moseph)
Big Bridge (Gario)
Soma Shrine (Above Ground) (Gario)

To the Azure Skies (Cyril the Wolf)
Tranquility (PabloComa)
The Three Towers (Zyko)
Town of Abundance, Elcid (Eitzpii)
Parting (Eitzpii)
Final Daos Battle (Jorito)
The One who will Save the Earth (Sbeast)
Gratze Underground Factory (DJJD)
Ancient Caves Battle [Lufia 1 Battle #1] (Amphibious)
Logimos Shrine (Above Ground) (AlephMale)
Mountain Path of Ice Fog (Quinn Fox)

Music Available:

Lexis Laboratory
Water Capital, Parcelyte
Castle of Stone, Bound Kingdom
Fortress Town, Gratz Empire
Forest Village, Eserikto
Despair and Destruction
Soma Shrine (Below Ground)
Logimos Shrine (Below Ground)
The Time of Judgment
The Strongest!
The Greatest Thieves in the World
Wedding Bells
Compensation for the BattleTime of Demise
Confrontation with a Great Enemy
Throne Room

Claim (No WIP)
Claim (with any WIP)
Significant claim (50% WIP)
Nearly finished (90-100%, without WAV)
Finished (100%, WAV submitted)

If it's not on the list, it's open to claim for yourself. Any track from Lufia II or the DS remake are fair game; while I will be posting a list of songs in the near future, you can make your claims now. If you're a posted (or to-be-posted) ReMixer, the claim will be held (until you miss a date). If you are not a posted ReMixer, please either PM me a sample of your work, or send a well produced WIP of the track you'd like to claim.

Here is a list of due dates for this album:

February 28th: Last day WIP Claims will be accepted without a WIP (Deadline Crossed)
April 31st: 1st WIP due
July 30th: 2nd WIP due
September 17th: Near-finished product due
November 1st: Final WAV due
December 31st: You will be cut from the project.

It's an aggressive time table, and outside of extraordinary circumstance I will be sticking to it. This album has been around for about eight years, I do not plan on it being in production hell for much longer. If you miss any of these dates, I will, with absolutely no exception, remove your claim until you produce a track that qualifies. If you do not produce a WIP before April 31st, whomever produces a WIP first will take the claim. If you miss the July 30th deadline, someone else may write a significant WIP and take your claim. This applies to the last two deadlines, as well.

If you miss two deadlines in a row, you will simply be cut from the project. If you produce a 1st WIP and do not produce a 2nd WIP before September 17th, even if no one claims your track you will be removed. Again, the same rule applies to every other deadline on here.

I will restate this, because it's important: there will be absolutely no exception to this rule. You have been warned.

Here are the dates for the known competitions - more will come in the future.

Lufia Compo #1: March 1st

I will be adjusting this post over the next few weeks in order to make a few items clearer (compo, claims, tracklist, etc.), but I wanted to get this off the ground as soon as possible.

Let's make a Lufia album that's truly worthy of the Gods!

Ivaer, Jorito, Sir_NutS and 5 others like this

So, to date, my favorite remix I've ever done is this one. I finished it nearly four years ago and nobody has ever heard it.

I am probably going to completely redo everything involved. 

16 minutes ago, XPRTNovice said:

So, to date, my favorite remix I've ever done is this one. I finished it nearly four years ago and nobody has ever heard it.

I am probably going to completely redo everything involved. 

It's holding two of my favorite personal mixes hostage, too. I feel you so hard.

Gonna retool some things for Azure Skies of course. Maybe jump on a couple that I definitely have wanted to do for ages, but we'll see how the next few weeks go.

Gario likes this

ok

guess i'll have to reclaim "three towers," then - i can send a current WIP tonight

Alright! I will be marking it down as claimed, good sir!

Also will be adjusting the deadlines a little tonight, considering the slow start this is getting, but a WIP would be amazing. ;) 

Interesting project. Lufia soundtrack is so awesome and i'd like to participate in this thing :D. How many songs can one person arrange? I have two songs in my mind but hard to decide :D.

Gario likes this

As many as you feel you can handle. If you can manage a good WIP for two tracks and keep up with deadlines, they'll be yours.

And yes, Lufia's soundtrack is amazing. ;)

23 hours ago, Gario said:

As many as you feel you can handle. If you can manage a good WIP for two tracks and keep up with deadlines, they'll be yours.

And yes, Lufia's soundtrack is amazing. ;)

Okay cool. I have material from my previous projects and i link some of them here to show what kind of things i can possibly do. Not greatest arrangements, but there are certain elements that i can mold into something new for this album :D.

Gario likes this

Jorito, you would be a great addition to the project. Just let me know what you've got an eye on and I'll mark it for you.

Eitzpii, that's plenty to hold a claim for a 1st WIP, so the tracks are yours! I only request you send me some downloadable versions so I can store them properly, and once things get moving I'll give you some advice on where to go from what you've got. Welcome aboard! :) 

I've tweaked a few dates on the project, to account for the relatively slow start-up for the project (having no response until late January/early February counts as an extraordinary circumstance, to me), but seeing more people post in here with interest is a great thing to see. I moved the planned first compo to two weeks from now, but that WILL be when they start. For those that are less known, it's a great way to get something on the project easily and quickly, and for more experienced members there will be benefits to taking the compos by storm. Details on them in a week, where I will be announcing them on Discord and Facebook.

Eitzpii likes this

My biggest problem is that I'm not overly familiar with the sound track and open to recommendations/personal favorites to take a look at. Otherwise I'll go over the sources and see which one inspires me.

Why am I here if I don't even know the game that well? Easy, great music and album projects are a great way to discover more games and more great music :)

7 minutes ago, Jorito said:

My biggest problem is that I only know a few Lufia tracks (battle themes iirc, which I liked a lot), but I don't know them from the game but from covers. So I'm not overly familiar with the rest of the sound track and open to recommendations/personal favorites to take a look at. Otherwise I'll go over the sources and see which one inspires me.

Final Daos battle is a great choice - great battle music, wasn't a part of the project prior (due to it being in the DS and not the original Lufia 2) so it doesn't have a claim. If you want to look at music, start there and work up.

My humblest of suggestions. Also, I really like that track, as it was a classic from Lufia 1. ;)

Jorito likes this

LOL, I was just checking the available tracks and stumbled upon Final Daos battle myself... it's one of the few tracks I know and loved, so if you could mark that one in red and put my name behind it, that'd be great :)

Gario likes this

Also I'd like to point out that there's no such thing as February 31st, so if you are wondering why nobody submitted anything before your deadline, that's why. I'll try to get you a WIP before February 28 :P

Gario likes this

Just now, Jorito said:

Also I'd like to point out that there's no such thing as February 31st, so if you are wondering why nobody submitted anything before your deadline, that's why. I'll try to get you a WIP before February 28 :P

... I knew that. Also, track is yours. Get at it!

Jorito likes this

You know I wrote and finished my remix for this album? Cause I don't see my name and the track is up for grabs. 

5 minutes ago, audio fidelity said:

You know I wrote and finished my remix for this album? Cause I don't see my name and the track is up for grabs. 

Apologies! I don't have the file on hand (it's probably on Bahamut's hard drive at the moment), and it's my mistake for not reaching out to you earlier for it. I'll put your track in the source list on hold until I get the latest copy of it from you.

And it is yours!

That's legitimately my favorite track from Lufia, so be sure to kick some ass with it.

Eitzpii likes this

Alright! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to arrange those two songs. What method do you prefer for sending WIP files :)?

1 minute ago, Eitzpii said:

Alright! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to arrange those two songs. What method do you prefer for sending WIP files :)?

For now, whichever method you choose is fine. Just send me a link to your works in progress via PM and I'll be able to handle that fine. Eventually I'll start opening the project forums up for newcomers, but that's take me a little time. Glad you're stepping up to bat to make the album better overall. :)

Been a bit out of the musical loop these days, but I wanna get back into the swing of things.  There's some cool music here, I'd like to try my hand at the Ancient Cave Battle if I'm able to claim it!

Gario likes this

Man, a LOT of the Lufia 1 additions from the DS game being gobbled up, here. Good thing, too, since those are some of the better tracks on the DS!

All yours, Amphibious.