Microphone configurations

Recently I was gifted a new set of microphones, which means that I finally own my own set and don't have to borrow a set anymore.  Even better, it's the same models as the ones I was borrowing!

Tonight, I recorded two french horn quartets as an experiment.  The purpose was to experiment with microphone configurations and balance to create different sounds.  I created a survey to gather opinions on the recordings, to help determine what directions I can take when recording for projects.  The details of the experiment are given in the survey description so I won't write them here. 

The main concept was balancing between direct and indirect sound.  With a trumpet or a trombone, you can get away with recording direct sound, and the result is characteristic sounding to those instruments.  However, with the horn, the characteristic sound is mostly indirect reflected sound.  Most of the time, when you hear the horn on recording, there is a blend of direct and indirect sound to replicate the sound of the horn that would be heard in a concert hall.  The rest of the time, the sound is mostly direct with a little indirect mixed in (listen to this to get an idea of direct sound, this to get an idea of indirect sound). 

For this experiment, the environment was a medium sized dead room, with virtually no reverb.  The performances are not perfect, album quality performances, so minimal compression or EQ was added, only being used to boost the overall volume of the recording to a more normal level.  Music was chosen by being the first pieces I grabbed from my library.

I would like to thank you for reading this post, and also for taking the survey.  Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Click here to take survey!