*NO* Dark Souls 3 'Lord Gwyn Unlinked'

Gario

(I'm not positive 'Unlinked' is part of the actual title, but it WAS capitalized and all...)

Remixer: HoboKa

Composer: Motoi Sakuraba

Source: Lord Gwyn's Theme, Dark Souls

Comments:
A relatively minimalistic remix to an already minimalistic source, but with choir morphs and some original touch ups with the piano melodies.  You guys may need to listen to it 2-3 times to see the subtle changes therein.  I know...I know it's cutting it close to the guidelines, but I couldn't resist testing out the waters and such.  Hope you guys enjoy it :)

For what it's worth, I do like the changes that were applied; the chords fill the space well, and they flow rather well all things considered. I do have to say that this is very conservative in its use of the piano, though - that backing piano part follows the source pretty strictly, from what I can gather.

The sound space is a little strange. Half of the piano sample is too dry and mechanical, and the other half (carrying the theme) is a little too wet. The choir is VERY wet, which makes the dry piano sound that much more out of place. If you're going to set up the sound as if it's being played in a particular space, be sure to make it consistent. Otherwise, it ends up sounding like the parts were all recorded in different rooms.

The conservative nature of this, as well as the inconsistent reverb between instruments and mechanical instruments take this one below the bar. Interesting concept, though.

NO

Definitely too conservative.  The added chords are very subtle.  The choir is nice, but even with that addition, I really don't think this is sufficiently transformative for the site.

Within the context of a game like this, with vaguely religious connotations, I expect a certain amount of separation of space.  Usually the choir is meant to sound otherworldly, quite literally not in the same space as the other instruments.  The issue is less severe for the piano parts, though it's definitely there.  If the arrangement were on point I think I could probably forgive the mechanical/dry backing piano, but it's not.

NO

I feel like I've judged multiple tracks with this same source in the past year or so.  Seems to be a popular one?  A bit depressing for my taste, but then again, I've never played the game.  Anyway!

Definitely feeling Gario's & MW votes above.  Right off the bat, this is very cover-ish on the piano, with some backing elements and a bit of rearrangement thrown in.  He makes a good point as well about getting everything in the same sonic space.  If you can't route each item to the same reverb (for example, due to built-in verb on the samples or something), then you'll have to put some additional effort to unify the spacing on the various elements.

Good start here, but would need more development, arrangement expansion and the aforementioned production love to be a pass from me.

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to *NO* Dark Souls 3 'Lord Gwyn Unlinked'