*NO* Battletoads (GB) 'BattleFunk'

Gario

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/07/08 - Battletoads (GB) 'BattleFunk'

Cool source, I never knew the GB iteration of Battletoads had a different soundtrack.

This is a pretty fun arrangement.  Nice job taking that jazzy source and taking it to new, even jazzier heights.  That said, this arrangement really does go completely off the rails in terms of source usage.  When it reaches 1:40, it goes into "inspired by" territory with original jazz riffs.  The bass line remains somewhat similar to that of the source but at that point isn't close enough, in my opinion, to be considered source usage.  It returns to overt source usage at 4:12, briefly, before fading out.  That's over 2 1/2 minutes of original content in a 4:32 arrangement (the last 14 seconds of the file are completely silent, so this really has to be trimmed at the very least), which is too much.

It's also very static in terms of sound.  Nearly the whole arrangement, including that whole middle 2 1/2 minutes, uses the same instruments, the same energy level, the same style.  The percussion is almost totally on autopilot as well, extremely monotonous.  It really needs something to break things up and keep the listener interested.  The riffs are fun and interesting, but there should be some sort of separation as well.  There's a tiny break at 1:18, and another at 4:12; not only does there need to be a lot more of that sort of thing, but at least one section with a substantially different soundscape would really help.

Production seems fine, I really like the style, and the keyboard performance is excellent, but this arrangement isn't the sort of thing we're looking for.  I'd love to see this fleshed out into something that spends more time closer to the original source material, with some more variation thrown in.

NO (resubmit)

MindWanderer pretty much hits it on the head: static arrangement, liberal interpretation of source (that bass isn't source, nor is the improv - I checked). The drums are also very repetitive, but that ties into the whole 'static arrangement' part. Also, there is no ending - just a quick fade, which really just leaves us hanging.

It's a lazy vote, but there isn't much to add. Listen to MindWanderer on this and you'll be solid.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree that the track gets lost in the arrangement after the first minute of source representation.  The bass from the source is there most of the time, albeit sometimes slightly transformed.  Another big issue is the static nature of the track.  I've noticed we get a lot of funk/disco submissions that feel very static in nature, that may be because these genres tend to produce songs like that, but for ocr we need more than just a static drumline with not many structural changes in the composition.  It feels more like a jamming session for the guitarrist, which I personally enjoyed, but it's not really what we're looking for.

As a final note I noticed the bass had an unnatural clicking sound to it on every note for some reason.

NO