User ID: 30104

Submission Information:
Game: Star Fox
Name of Arrangement: Lonely in Space, With a Waltz
Name of Songs Arranged: Sector Y

Links to Originals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na6ejAgJInQ

Comments:

Since the first episode of "A Fox in Space" came out, I've had Star Fox on the mind, so I threw together a Sector Y, (that's right, the space whale level,) remix because I hadn't been making too much music at the time.

The first half of the remix is based almost entirely on the intro of the original - often slowed down and in different keys. It gets pretty abstract at 0:51, and the main melody finally comes in at 2:14. The waltz starts at 4:02. Originally there was going to be no waltz section at all because it just didn't sound good. However, after hearing the "Rosetta's Comet Observatory" song from Super Mario Galaxy, I added some flutes to play on the second and third beats. Without that detail, I think the second and third beats would have sounded very dry and boring, and I wouldn't have bothered completing that section.

I had some trouble exporting this, so I owe some thanks to the people in the Discord server for helping me out.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Since much of this song is remixing all of 2 seconds from the original, I'm including a source breakdown.

0:00 - 0:50 The 2 second intro, slowed down and in a different key. The bell motif from the source continues while pretty much everything under it is original.
0:51 - 1:27 Original
1:28 - 1:55 The intro, this time in the same key but still slowed down.
1:56 - 2:35 The intro, this time at the same tempo as the original, albeit in different keys. The main melody comes in at 2:14.
2:36 - 2:53 Piano motif was inspired by the original song's intro, but isn't taken directly from it.
2:54 - 3:34 Main melody
3:35 - 3:58 Second part from the original song
3:59 - 5:17 Basically the source song
5:18 - 5:51 Original
5:52 - 6:07 Main melody again
6:08 - 6:28 Original
6:29 - 6:57 Main melody

The build all the way into the melody at 2:14 basically was an extended arrangement of the opening 6-note pattern that plays 3 times in the source before the melody kicks in; not something I immediately recognized (since I judged this without reading the sub letter beforehand), but appreciated once I made the connection. And with that connection there, there was no need to timestamp the source usage, since it was essentially always in play.

Watch for detail work like the bow movements (particularly 1:12) cutting abruptly. There were also lots of faint click/pops that made it into the render (e.g. 4:05, 4:23, 4:28), which wasn't a huge deal and were usually drowned out, but I did notice them.

The production quality was otherwise solid relatively to the bar. The sound should have been a bit cleaner/clearer, but the muddiness wasn't a dealbreaker; it may have been a purposeful choice to give the orchestra some depth, but it could have been pulled back some.

Very smart arrangement, Slimy, and great concept; this was a beautiful approach. :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/07/20 - (1Y) Star Fox 'Lonely in Space, With a Waltz'

Sheesh, this is a large sounding piece. The orchestra really feels like a professional recording in this case - the space, the dynamics, the orchestration, and the overall soundscape is absolutely great. You do some great work with the humanization in this, and the fact that you really utilize the full orchestra just adds so much to the overall impact. I'm not sure I hear the bowing issues that Larry is at 1:12, but if there are small humanization issues they're nearly non-existent.

As I've done the source checking prior on the WIP boards, and since the timestamps are there for everyone else, I don't think I need to check again - the source is there. One thing that I get a kick out of is that this just oozes with the style of Strauss and the Blue Danube. Getting compared to the king of waltz is no small praise - excellent arrangement.

The production is really solid. There still sounds like there's a lack of upper EQ, which does impact how clear it sounds overall, but it doesn't hurt this piece too much.

Really great stuff!

YES

This one takes its time to develop with a very deliberate pace but everything falls into place at the climax and the build up sections didn't feel like filler but sections with their own purpose and actually interesting to listen to.  Loved 2:55, this section feels very well humanized and detailed, really good stuff.  The arrangement is very dynamic throughout, changing cadence as the arrangements needs to. 

Overall excellent arrangement, this really shows Slimy's chops.  On the production side the mix is slightly low-end biased but really not an issue by any means.  Instruments are clear and real.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/07/20 - (3Y) Star Fox 'Lonely in Space, With a Waltz'

I'm not sure I'm sold on the notion of counting 2 seconds of backing arps as "source usage," but, using Slimy's timestamps, I count 53% usage of the original melody, so it's fine on that count regardless.

There were some sections a little light on the high end, but mostly I didn't feel this was an issue.

Otherwise, I don't have much to add.  It's big, it's bold, it's creative, and the orchestration is just spot-on.  Fantastic work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03494 - *YES* Star Fox "Lonely in Space, with a Waltz"